Epilogue

Several months had passed since their departure when Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin returned to the Shire. They had spent almost three weeks in Minas Tirith, advising King Aragorn on the matter of the jesters. A small patrol had been sent to search for the mithril shirt and had returned it to Frodo, who was very moved. Following the trail of the merchant who had bought the shirt from the jesters, the troop had managed to get their hands on the rascals who had then begged for the forgiveness of both the king and Frodo himself. As a punishment, Aragorn had given them the responsibility of enforcing the law: if other groups of entertainers were caught exhibiting creatures as they had done, they would pay the consequences.

Frodo had spent a lot of time with Sam exploring the city, helping his companion make peace with a place that should no longer evoke mourning but joy. The inscription on the marble flagstone honouring Frodo had been changed. Beside his statue was added those of all the members of the Fellowship, in memory of their eternal friendship and to honour the sacrifices they had made to bring peace to Middle-earth. The four Hobbits had left shortly after the inauguration of the new statues, sad to have to leave their friends but glad to know that they were all healthy and happy.

The rest of their journey had taken them to Rivendell, where they had spent some time with Bilbo, much to the delight of Frodo and Bilbo himself. The days had been filled with songs, adventure-telling and food, which was enough to satisfy any Hobbit. Frodo had found it difficult to leave his old cousin, but he knew he was in good hands and very happy among the elves. The journey home had seemed a little bitter after that.

But as they reached the borders of the Shire, the hearts of all the Hobbits swelled with joy. Frodo, in particular, found himself more eager than ever to return to Bag End. At last he was ready to go home.

However, the company made a first stop at Crickhollow where they met Fatty who welcomed them with his usual good mood.

'Well, well, well! I knew it was a long way to Minas Tirith, but you took your time! At last, here you are again, and for good I hope this time?'

'Don't worry, Fredegar,' said Frodo softly, 'the trip to Bag End will be the last I'll make for quite some time.'

'Those are wise words. Sam, don't worry, I went to see your father several times. He's annoyed that you're still wandering around, but he's all right.'

'If he's annoyed, it's a sign that he's all right.' Merry joked.

Frodo and Sam stayed in Crickhollow for a few days to rest a little and also to pick up the things Frodo had moved there before he left for their great adventure and that he now wanted to take back to Bag End. They loaded the wagon and kissed their friends, promising they would visit each other soon.

The drive to Hobbiton was pleasant, especially in such a fair weather. They stopped at inns, preferring the comfort of a real bed to camping in the wilderness. On the way, they came across several travellers: farmers taking their cattle to market or merchants transporting their products from one hamlet to another.

'We haven't seen anyone who might have recognised you yet,' said Sam as they passed a group of young Hobbits on their way to work in the field. 'Is it something that worries you, when you'll have to announce your return?'

'Not really, Sam. Besides, the people who matter most know about it. The others... well, we'll see what they have to say about it!'

'I've got to tell you... maybe you'll be displeased, but... there's someone I already told about your coming back. I'm sorry I didn't ask your permission.'

'Who did you tell?'

'Rosie Cotton, sir. It's just... when I broke off our engagement, I didn't have the heart to lie to her.'