The hero

Their reunion with Aragorn was a little too formal for Frodo's taste, but there was no way around it. After being greeted by the king, his lady, and the entire court, the Hobbits were welcomed inside the great hall of the citadel where long tables were being set up for the banquet that would later be given in their honour. Although the tables took up most of the space in the room, Frodo was impressed by the size of the hall. Clutching Sam's hand, he looked around at the black and white marble columns and the statues of the kings who had reigned before Aragorn. But the small company did not linger in the great hall; the king led them through corridors to what looked like private chambers where they could sit together, free from the curious glances of the courtiers and servants who were preparing the coming festivities.

'Frodo,' said Aragorn as he approached him and put one knee to the ground, 'I can hardly believe that my eyes do not deceive me. And yet you are here!'

Without giving Frodo time to answer, he embraced him.

'There would be so much to say about what we could have done to help you, but this is no time for that, my friend,' he continued, stepping away from Frodo. 'Do you forgive me?'

'There is nothing to forgive, Aragorn,' replied Frodo in a soft voice. 'My presence should be proof of that.'

'Yes, Lord Aragorn,' Sam added. 'We have come all this long way, and we have just recovered Mr. Frodo, if I may say so. We certainly aren't here to blame you!'

'Sam,' said Aragorn, 'you don't know how glad I am to see you smiling again. I trust you will be Frodo's guide during your stay?'

'I'm afraid you'll have to knock Sam out if you want him to let go of Frodo,' said Merry, laughing. 'Don't try to talk to him in private, it would be a waste of your time!'

The small group laughed and then everyone settled into armchairs and couches. Aragorn himself brought refreshments and they exchanged news. The lady Arwen reported what she knew of Rivendell, of her correspondence with Lord Elrond, and what Frodo learned of Bilbo gave him great comfort. Bilbo was too tired to make the journey to Minas Tirith, but he hoped Frodo would visit him on his way back. The Hobbits were obviously delighted to make this detour.

'I don't have the strength to retell the ordeals of my long absence,' Frodo said when the conversation became more serious. 'Maybe Gandalf will be kind enough to give you a summary, or Merry or Pippin. But I must tell you a part of what happened to me, for we have a request to make.'

'There is not much I can refuse you,' Aragorn admitted, 'the debt the free people owe you is tremendous.'

'I'll give you some free people alright!' Sam mumbled, gritting his teeth and squeezing Frodo's hand.

Frodo smiled indulgently, touched to see him still so affected by his misadventure.

'What do you mean, Master Gamgee?' Arwen asked in a soft voice.

'He means that in the name of this hard-won freedom, some people allow themselves dishonest acts, unworthy of your reign,' replied Merry before Sam could speak. 'Acts of vengeance are committed, sometimes to your glory, to amuse the crowds.'

'We speak of these public entertainers,' said Frodo, 'who, under the pretence of giving justice, capture creatures — servants of the Enemy — and make them part of a show during which the villagers insult or throw stones at them.'

'I have heard of this,' said Aragorn in a reflective voice. 'These performances are forbidden in the city.'

'Well, you must forbid them wherever your power reaches!' said Sam, leaping to his feet. 'Some of those rascals have put Frodo through this torment!'