The survivor

The days that followed in Crickhollow went by like a dream. Sam took Frodo out for a walk almost every day, and he marvelled to see him grow stronger every day. He also ate with a ferocious appetite, which made his cousins tease him. Sam was delighted to prepare Frodo's favourite dishes, and even happier to see him finish his plate with relish, never failing to thank Sam with a loving smile. And in the evening, in the intimacy of the room he shared with Frodo, Sam fell asleep pressed against his master, in a chaste embrace that filled him with joy.

One afternoon, when all the Hobbits were gathered in the living room for tea, Frodo got up and addressed everyone.

'I think I'm ready to tell you what happened to me,' he announced in a quiet voice, as if surprised at his own realisation. 'Do you want to hear this part of the story?'

'I've wondered so much about what could have happened after Sam lost you,' Fredegar replied kindly, 'that knowing the truth would be a relief to me.'

'Yes, Frodo,' continued Pippin. 'If you're ready to tell us, well, we're ready to listen. I am, anyway.'

Merry nodded to signify that he shared this feeling. Only Sam hesitated before answering.

'If you're sure you want to' he said, 'then you know that I'm here for you, that we're all here for you,' he added, blushing a little.

'Thank you my friends,' Frodo said.

Then, turning to Sam :

'If you don't mind, I'd like to sit next to you while I tell the story. That way, with your arms around me, I won't let the darkness take me.'

Sam didn't have to answer, he just open his arms. Frodo sat down on his knees and grabbed the hand that Pippin, sitting in the nearest armchair, offered him out of sympathy. He took a deep breath and began his story:

'I remember the last moments I spent with Sam very clearly... Almost more clearly than the rest, in fact. We had passed through the tunnel of Shelob and I thought I could enter Mordor when I was hit by the monster's sting. After that, it's a bit of a blur. I woke up several times, amidst the screams of orcs and the sounds of metal. I was in a dark room, lit by a red flame, it was very cold. When I actually came back to consciousness, I realised I was naked.

I still remember my panic very clearly: they had taken everything from me, I no longer had the Ring! I cried, and that made them angry. They... they beat me to shut me up.'

Sam squeezed Frodo a little tighter against him and buried his face in the back of his neck, holding back his tears with force.

'After that, the orcs who were watching me argued, and I heard the others fighting below. And then one of the two orcs with me killed the other. There was still some noise, and then the great orc, the one who had killed his comrade, grabbed me, took a bag with what they had taken from me, and we went down the tower. There were bodies everywhere, dead or dying orcs. They may have been my enemies, but I remember feeling sorry for them. Then we came out, I was still naked and carried like a sack on my guard's shoulder. I was cold, so cold! And all the time I was thinking, 'This is it, it's all going to stop now. He's going to kill me, and I haven't even accomplished my mission.' But death wasn't coming. And you, my poor Sam, I worried about you, I thought you were lost. But you must've gotten to the tower after he took me, or we would've found each other again.'

'Yes, Mr. Frodo,' said Sam, sobbing. 'When I got to the tower, there was nothing but dead orcs there. And no matter how I searched, how I called, how I shouted, you were nowhere. Oh, if I'd been quicker, what sorrow we'd have avoided!'

'Yes, my dear Sam, but it's too late to regret it. And I'm here now. But I get lost in my story. The great orc, Shagrat was his name, wanted to take me himself to his master; to take all the credit, no doubt. I was only half conscious during the journey we made, freezing cold and terrified as I was. I could already see the world collapsing, and I thought, 'The Ring, the Ring is in that bag he carries, with my mithril coat and my belongings. He is going to give it to the Dark Lord, and all will be lost!'. But, after a while, I understood that he was not taking the quickest route to Barad-dur, he did not want to be seen by his countrymen. Maybe I had a chance to stop him.'