Chapter Seventeen.

~When I regard the darkness, I speak from the position of light, that I might have power over it.~

Alex could tell as he prayed, that she knew.

Somehow, he knew she knew, because his heart was breaking.

The recovery team had left about an hour and a half ago and they should be at the location by now. Alex closed his eyes.

"Adriel, please be strong."

{¶{¶{¶{¶{¶{¶}

"Is she ready?" Adriel heard a rather feminine voice ask. She's heard that voice before.

"Victoria?"

Victoria suddenly gasped at Adriel's voice.

Adriel saw her look her over, taking in her bound arms and legs.

Then she turned to Jayden.

"How is she still moving? You should have drained her by now. All the Elders are almost here. The ritual is about to start." Victoria reprimanded him.

Jayden narrowed his eyes at her. His expression changed as he sent her a scowl.

"I didn't ask you to tell me what I already know." She saw Adriel's crestfallen expression and wondered what they'd been talking about.

"You know Vido hates tardiness." She reminded him.

"Leave and don't come back." He repeated. It was an order. Victoria resisted the urge to say another word knowing he wouldn't be as patient if she disobeyed again. So she turned around and left.

After she was gone a minute, Jayden turned to look at Adriel. She looked so weak and defeated. His brows furrowed.

"You look so distraught and I haven't even told you half of what he did." He knew she'd be broken by the end of his words and that was what he'd hoped. A broken spirit was easier to control.

"I was the provincial leader for the island for five years before Alex came into the picture, but because he was so ambitious, he quickly rose through the ranks. He took my position from me within three years."

He watched her shoulders sag again as he told her. There was nothing she could say.

"Imagine how many people he'd had to kill to attain my rank." He said. He saw her shake her head in denial as more tears fell from her eyes.

"No." She whispered.

"He wouldn't-" He cut her off.

"Yes Adriel, he did. He was the enemy your brother fought at the academy, the same enemy that eventually killed him."

Her heart lurched against her chest.

"Alex would never-" Adriel choked. She shook her head denying his statement.

"He'd never do that to his own best friend! Luke died in an accident,"

"I know what I saw." She said remembering that day.

"He'd been the provincial leader at the point of Luke's death. He'd ordered it. The truck driver had been one of us." Jayden told her.