deja vu - s.t. and c.m.

SHAYNE

"Hey, Kimmy, happy birthday!" I said as I approach her with a smile on my face, "Here's your gift. Hope you like it!"

"Aww, you didn't have to get me one, Shayne, but thank you so much," she said while I hand her a yellow gift bag, "I heard Courtney went with you?"

"Yeah, her car broke down last night, and it's on the repair shop so she had to go with me,"

"Where is she, though?"

"She's still in the car, fixing her makeup or something," I replied and then I sat on the bench.

We are on her house, and she's having these summer night pool party. Everyone from Smosh is here- Ian, Damien, Noah, Keith, Jackie- name it and they're here.

"'Tis I, Courtney Miller," Courtney said as she walks outside from the living room, "Where's the birthday girl?"

I nod my head towards Kimmy's direction. Courtney patted my shoulder before leaving and walked towards her. "Hey dude," I hear Ian say as he sits next to me, "Enjoying the party?"

"I guess so. Are you?"

"I'm not a party guy, you know that, but it's nice to chillax, Shayne. Go chillax. Do it for Mr. President," Ian replied and then drank on his cup, "Hmm?" he said as he offers me his drink, and I shook my head.

"Nah, no thanks. I'm driving myself home tonight,"

"You can get Uber for later, Shaynie!" Courtney said as she approaches Ian and I with two red cups on her hand, "Here, I brought you this."

"I'm getting pressured into drinking, but I'm not 16 anymore so I guess I'd just give in," I said as I take the cup from Courtney's hand. Ian started cheering and then my eyes landed on my best friend.

Damien and Kimmy were talking, like friends. But I know that behind those little smiles and shy laughs, there is something else.

"I'd go inside with Noah and Keith. They're doing beer pongs. Wanna join them?" Ian asks as he stands up.

"I'm good here," Courtney replied, "You, Shayne?"

"I'm not in the mood for beer pong yet, but I'd go there if I ever change my mind," I said and then Ian left Courtney and I alone.

I could hear Kimmy's laugh from here, and then Damien said something that made her laugh more.

"They should probably date," Courtney said, out of nowhere.

"I'm sorry?" I ask as I turn my head towards her.

"Kimmy and Damien," she said as she points her index fingers towards them, "There's this spark between the two of them."

"Yeah, I know. I could see it too," I replied, and then I sipped lightly on my drink, "It feels like I'm watching a movie when I'm watching them."

"Exactly, right!" Courtney exclaimed as she scoots a little bit closer to me, "I kept telling Damien to ask Kimmy out, but he said he's not ready to date yet. But when are we really ready for that kind of stuff?"

"Yep," I replied and then drank my remaining alcohol, "Want a refill?"

Courtney nodded as she hands me her cup. I grab it and walked towards the keg.

"Hey, Shayne!" Damien said, jogging towards me.

"Dude hey!" I said as I give him a hug.

"I'm really nervous, but she doesn't seem to recognize it."

"Courtney and I have been watching you two earlier. You should definitely ask Kimmy out. Now's the perfect timing!" I said as I pour out beer on Courtney's cup then on mine.

Damien widened his eyes at me and his face went red.

"I'm right here," Kimmy said in a highly pitched tone.

"Well, now you know about it Kimmy!" I said as I walk past the two of them and walk back to Courtney.

"Thank you," she said as she reaches for her cup in my hand.

I sat down next to her and pointed out Damien and Kimmy.

"Ooh, he's blushing. Are they gonna kiss, are they gonna kiss?" And then it happened. "Oh my God!" Courtney silently exclaimed.

Damien kept his hands around Kimmy's waist and then Kimmy kissed him for the second time.

"Oh my God, I'm so happy for them right now! Do you think I should go there and congratulate them?"

"Ah, no, I don't think that's a good idea," I said as I sip a little from my cup, "Let them have their moment, Courtbort."

I could see their smiles shining, and Damien is so red right now. When Kimmy walked away, Damien looked over us and gave Courtney and I a thumbs up. Damien followed Kimmy near the barbeque grill.

Courtney kept hitting me on my arms and squealing. It's starting to hurt now. "Ouch, Courtney stop!" I said as I try tp fight her back.

After a few laughs and playful punches, we finally stopped messing with each other.

"I wish we tried before, you know?" she whispers after sipping on her drink.

"What do you mean?"

I hate acting dumb. I hate acting that I don't know what she's talking about.

"I see us in them. Don't you?"

I stared at Courtney as she stares at Kimmy and Damien. Her eyes are glassy, and then she sniffs. I cleared my throat and then looked away, "Courtney, I-"

"No, it's just like, I really liked you Shayne. And now, it feels like, eh," and then she cries.

I wish I have the balls to tell her that I'm in love with her for 6 years already but I'm too scared to move past the friendship phase. I'm scared of her rejection. I don't want to be awkward around her, and I'd rather waste my chances of being the man of her life than losing her for the rest of mine.

I hugged Courtney and rubbed circles on her back. We always hug, but this, it feels different. The sensation sent butterflies on my stomach, but at the same time, I feel sad, like there's this black, empty pit inside of me.

"Courtney, I love you," I said, with an unsteady voice. She is sobbing on my shoulders, and I don't think she heard me. I let go of her and wiped the tears off of her face, "Courtney, let's fire up that spark again. It's not too late yet, Courtney. This time I'm not letting it burn out."

"I don't know, Shayne," she said as she looks up and delicately wipe her tears, "It's not the same anymore. Ugh, I wish I just didn't say this, and now we're gonna be awkward around each other-"

I cupped her face in my hands and let my lips touch hers. The moment I pulled away from her, I knew it was the right thing to do- to finally show her how much I've been longing for her love. It's been 6 years. Courtney stood up and went inside to the living room.

"Courtney, wait!" I said as I put down my drink in the bench and run to follow her.

Everyone that was playing beer pong stopped playing and just stood there watching me.

"What?" I ask them, and then they went back to playing. I tiptoed on my feet to see where Courtney went, and then I saw her heading towards a bedroom.

I made my way to that room and found Courtney, walking in circles while biting her nails.

"Shayne, go away," she said silently as she stops sniffing.

"No. Not again,"

"Why did you do that?" she said as she sits on the bed.

"I don't know, but it felt right," I replied as I walk towards her. "Courtney, I love you."

Silence.

"I would've loved to hear that 2 years ago," she said before leaving me alone in that room.