Chapter 15

"Gin, I am so sorry-he forced his way into the carriage-I had no choice-" Johnny stammered.

"John, why don't you and Jack come inside?" Derek suggested, taking my hand quickly. We moved aside as Johnny and Jack moved inside. At that instant I saw the gun in Jack Peddleton's hand, and gasped.

"Leave him alone!" I exclaimed quietly. Derek squeezed my hand, telling me to be silent.

"Walk." Jack Peddleton ordered, pushing us forward. "Most secured room in the house, Derek. Don't lie to me, I'll shoot the young man if you do." Derek's jaw clenched as he looked down at me.

"The wine cellar." He growled.

"Lead the way, Major." Jack sneered. Derek gripped my hand as we moved through the house to the kitchen and down narrow stairs in the dark.

"There are lanterns at the bottom of the stairs. If you have a match, you may light them." Derek said cooley.

"No need, step-brother. I've got Mama waiting for us already." Jack chided. "You've had a hunch that Mama was related to me this whole time." He stated.

"Yes he has, Jacky." Adalynn called as she lit a few lanterns. "Little Imogen knew nothing, even when I slowly made sure her child would not survive the pregnancy." A painful pang hit my heart as she talked about Aaron Clancy. "I killed Aaron as well. Slowly poisoning him."

"Go to hell!" Derek spat, gripping my hand. "Both of you."

"Enough!" Jack shouted, aiming his pistol at me. "Mother, the rope please." He said as he extended his freehand towards her. Adalynn gave him the rope and Jack approached us. "Hmm, she's beautiful, Major. Maybe I won't kill her; I'll marry her instead and cause you the pain of knowing your love is alive, bearing my children."

"You don't deserve happiness, ye bastard." I growled, causing him to smirk. He grabbed my wrists and began to bind them together. I could feel my heartbeat quicken and my blood pulse in my veins. I would not survive tonight.

"I will enjoy torturing you, Imogen. You have a fire in you that Derek was never able to tame. But I can." Jack said to me. I turned my head and looked at Derek. I saw the fear in his eyes. This could be it for us.

"Beat her." Jack said to Derek.

"No." Derek challenged. Jack raised his pistol again and aimed it at me. My heartbeat quickened and I began to shake. I struggled against the ropes, attempting in vain to free myself.

"Be careful, Major. I will end her life if you disobey me. Now strike her!" Jack ordered. I turned to Derek and cupped his face as best as I could. He kissed my palms and said;

"I love you, Imogen." I smiled weakly and whispered, "I love you." Derek struck me, but not as hard as he did the first time. He was afraid to hurt me. I still shook, my own fear unable to go away, but I played my part and whimpered and groaned as he did. It was not enough.

"Harder, Major, like this." Jack said, winding up and backhanded me across he face. I tasted copper afterwards and spit the blood onto the dirt floor. Derek pulled me into his arms and used his body as a shield.

"I cannot harm my wife, Jack. It's killing me." He said, pressing my face into his shoulder. "If you want to kill her, you need to kill us both." I heard the clock of the gun and closed my eyes. The bullet never came, though. It was the smashing of a glass bottle instead followed by the thud of a dropping body.

"Jack!" Adalynn exclaimed. "What did you do to him?" She shouted at Johnny. Derek turned around and grabbed Jacks pistol.

"Adalynn, do not move." He said darkly. "Johnny, please go wake Mr. Williams, your mother and Bambi. And no one else." Derek ordered. Johnny left quickly, leaving Jack, Adalynn, Derek and I together.