Chapter 13

My stomach swelled over the few summer month and into the fall months. Derek had turned twenty-two, as did Anna, and a few more birthdays in between. Our wedding anniversary passed, and we celebrated in the comfort of our home. By October, my mother and siblings came to live with us. I was two months until term, and I was ready for my baby to come out. Now it is November, and things are strange around the manor. Adalynn was acting oddly strange to me, helping me without question and giving me herbal tea to help the baby. She refused to tell me or mum what was in it, but she said it was safe. Mum was reluctant to give it to me, but it was better than the concoctions the cook, Mrs. Jones, was giving to me.

Derek also said someone was lurking around the grounds. He would not say in front of his step-mother, but I had an idea. Jack Peddleton heard of our baby. I was certain of it. I was positive he had a mole in my home as well. Derek was on edge. Between the baby, his step-mother and Jack, his stress is worrying me. He's trying to find Mr. Peddleton and stop him before he hurts us. He's trying to find the mole and stop Adalynn from harming me. He should not have this much on his shoulders.

Waddling into his study, I watched him huddled over papers. He was burning the midnight oils, as my Da would say. I closed the door behind me and made my way across the room to him.

"Derek, it's nearly midnight, please come to bed." I said softly, touching his hand. "Jack Peddleton can wait, your wife cannot."

"Imogen," He murmured, looking up at me. "You should not be up and about. Not with the baby so close to term."

"I am fine, it's you I am worried about." I said, leaning over his desk. "Come to bed now, please. I am dreadfully cold and baby Goddard has already heard a goodnight from me."

"Has he been moving lately?" Derek asked, standing and moving around his desk. His hands cuped my stomach gently, thumbing circles on it slowly.

"No, I'm worried somehting happened." I whispered. Derek kissed my nose and took my hands in his.

"I'm sure that the baby is just getting ready to greet us." He said softly. "Now, lets go to bed." I allowed Derek to pull me to our room and we settled in for the night, which is when something strange happened. Ever since the beginning of the pregnancy, I became a light sleeper. Early in the morning, I heard a crash from the floor below and it jolted me awake. I stirred Derek, who sat up with me.

"Love, what is it? Is he coming?" Derek said, cuping my stomach. I shook my head as I took his hands.

"Someone is in the house. An intruder, Derek." I whispered. Derek let go of me and grabbed the pistol in his bedside table.

"Stay here, Imogen. I'll be back soon." Derek said, kissing my lips. He left the room promptly, gathering a few servants along the way. I stayed in bed all of five minutes before making sure everyone else was still in bed. As I made my way to the stairs, I felt a twinge in my stomach, making me bend over slightly. He moved, thank god. I quietly made my way down the two flights of stairs to look for my husband. He had been gone too long to dispatch a trespasser.

I heard Derek's faint voice coming from the direction of the dining room, and I followed it. He sounded upset, but about what? I passed through the darkened living room, the faintness of his voice turned into shouting from behind the South wall. I cupped my stomach as another twinge went through me. They must be interrogating the intruder in the kitchen. I walked a little further through the servant's door and halted before my husband and Mr. Williams could see me.

"Why did Jack send you?" Derek growled.

"None of your goddamned business, Goddard!" The man spat back. I heard the sound of skin against skin and I flinched.