Chapter 03: The Present

Second day of school, the teacher teaches us the subject but I felt sleepy. Thankfully, the bell ringed means that the morning classes have finished already. Also, it is the time for our lunch break. I went to canteen and saw everyone enjoys their meals and conversations with their friends. Sigh. On the counter where the food settled, I'm still on the line of buying my lunch holding a tray. Luckily, I was now on the counter. But I felt disappoint to what I saw.

I said, "Oh men, why is this happening? No Apritada and Capsuy today! Oh, come on. Give me a break."

The canteen cashier said with an angry face pointed at me, "If you don't like our food. You're free to go. We'd never serve a customer like you."

I apologized and said, "Ah sorry, Auntie Mary. I didn't mean like that. Truthfully speaking, I like your foods here in the canteen. My point is why are Apritada and Capsuy have not been prepared today? Yesterday, you guys served it to us."

Auntie Mary, fifty-six years old wearing eyeglasses, white shirt and blue apron with plastic cover at her hair. She suddenly recognized me and she smiled. The fact is that we know each other for a long time. Two years ago when I still a first year, I was punished by the school because of my lateness in my class. My punishment is to become one of the servants in the mess team for two weeks. Hence, I met Aunty and the others. Everyone in the team is so kind and friendly including her. They taught me everything about cooking food and preparing simple with proper arrangement of a meal. Totally, I thanked God for giving that wonderful experience and gift.

Aunty Mary said with gratitude, "Ah, it is only you, my boy. Sorry, I didn't recognize you I thought your one of those kids who always discriminate our service here in canteen yesterday."

I replied, "It's alright Auntie Mary. I was the first one who needs to apologize. By the way Auntie, I ordered two rice, chicken tinola and three pieces of lumpiang shanghai for my lunch today. Please add more broth and chicken wings from the tinola. I'm really hungry though, Aunty."

She asked again, "It is that what you want my boy?"

I replied, "Yes Aunty, that's all."

"Two rice, chicken tinola and three pieces of lumpiang shanghai is coming right now. Please wait." Then, my order has arrived and she put it on my tray one by one.

However, the battle for searching for a vacant table begins to make my mind think and decide. I decided to go to the rooftop where less than student will go for eating. But I felt terrible that is someone's watching me. I went outside the canteen and quickly headed to the top floor of the building. On my way to the rooftop, I saw someone following me and take a picture of my face. Hence, I speed up my walk.

I felt loose when I finally came on the floor. Unfortunately, there are others came up first than me. I felt envy when I saw others happy to talk to each other. But I just started to eat my lunch to avoid thinking about it.

I said to myself, "There are times when alone is the best place to be."

"And sometimes it better to be alone and nobody can get hurt you," the student said with a lonely face. He was beside me on the side wall while eating his lunch.

I was appeased for a moment and looked at the face of the young student. I greet him with a smile.

"Hey there pal."

The boy bows while swaying his right hand without a word.

"Umm, what is your name?"

The boy did not answer. He stayed quiet and continued to eat his lunch.

"Okay, that's odd. Well, I'll introduce to you myself first, and then you're next to reveal yourself. My name is Oner Ardonawa. You can call me Oner for short. And you are?" I raise my right hand waiting for him to shake it.