2

Seraph looked out from the observatory deck. The large metal box was down there in complete darkness. The pit itself was lit up by cheap and dim cold lights like an anglerfish, presumably set up fifty odd years ago and never heard or seen from again. She did so in complete silence, save for the noise emitting from the box itself. It must sense activity around its enclosure according to the singular file associated with it.

The strange gutteral and alien roar continued echoing out, even through the soundproof windows. Still, Seraph was unmoved. If she was stuck in a box for fifty goddamn years she'd scream too.

"Doctor?" Seraph hardly noticed her assistant behind her asking her questions. She turned to see the petite blonde Human woman behind her. "Shall we begin the observation protocol now?"

"Yes, at once. Get the boys to install speakers in there, will you please?"

The human nodded and scurried off. The creature inside was still howling down there. It seemingly never stopped. Seraph was devising ways to observe this thing one way or another, even if she gleans a morsel of knowledge on how it retreats into its own dimension even for a second. Still, it was a living creature. She will understand it and take care of it.

"Umm, Doctor," the same woman said, this time with a clipboard in hand. The Campus loved their files and notes, even if virtually no one else cared. "What are you planning on doing with the creature down there afterwards?"

"Well, first off. I have a lot of things to say to whoever the Overseer was before Hudgens, as nothing deserves this kind of treatment. Abandoning a thing in a metal box for fifty years is sickening to me, and mindblowing how it was allowed back then. No matter how cheap and pragmatic it is. Just listen to it for a second and tell me those screams are hostile. We're going to have to get the boys in here again to install a security vestibule and an aperature so we can get a look at this thing. We're going to need some real human magic out of you to make this work, but it's necessary for us to test its behavioral patterns with stimuli."

The assistant took a moment to hear the screams, flinching as she heard the entity slamming its tail into the walls with no avail. She nodded again and departed to get the engineers to work on it further. Seraph knew that the creature had no interest in communicating other than screaming so conveniently she will work with that. With a blink of her eye, Seraph's Caster sprung to life and ready to record her thoughts.

D8-S-1 Proposal Status: Active Testing Required

Test 1: Audio Stimuli

(Notes taken by Seraph)

Since our friend in question is quite vocal it has been determined as a measurement unit to guage what certain stimuli can calm it down. Its vocalisations will be measured on a scale from 0 (no noise) to 10 (120 decibles - maximum distress). The goal is find out whether it is sentient or other in order to reveal its anomalous traits with minimal risk. Several speakers have been installed inside the vestibule to begin the audio test.

Sounds | Stress level

Regular words - 10 (D8 screamed for 48 hours. Personnel responsible for dematerializing did not deter it from continuing its vocalisations after rematerializing.)

Popular current music at low volume - 7 (No comment)

Jungle and Forest ambience- 5 (Now we are getting somewhere)

Cave and Grotto Ambience - 6 (No commemt)

Popular music at loud volume - 8 (No comment)

The Best of Mozart - 3 (No comment)

Tropical Beach Music Mix - 4 (No comment)

Heavy metal rock playlist - 8 (Told you that your weird music would freak it out, Jack)

Classic Rock playlist - 4 (No comment)

Jazz instrumentals - 1 (No comment)

Martian World music - 4 (No comment)

It should be noted that overtime D8 music's efficacy for stress measurement/reduction decreases. I've assembled a playlist of D8's favorite tunes to be played in perpetuity along with a healthy dose of silence as well. As a result, D8's vocalisations have been at 1-2 scale for a full month after initial tests have been done. Stress baseline has been readjusted accordingly.

More tests will be done as soon as my beautiful assistant Cindy will work her magic to Campus Heads. There's much more work to do then sitting around listening to an extradimensional entity scream about all day.