chapter 1

chapter 1

"Just a second!" I called out from behind the counter, hearing the front bell ring. I poured steaming coffee into a small, cream colored mug and turned around putting on a fake smile for the old man sitting at the diner counter.

"Here you go, Dan." I said and the man who came in every day at four o'clock for a cup of coffee and a piece of apple pie, returned the smile, like always and began to dig into his pie.

I pulled my order pad out of my front apron pocket and ducked under the counter to go to the people who just came into the almost deserted diner. I almost tripped on my old skates as I made my way to the back booth full of people that I noticed went to my school. I cursed to myself and turned to find Juliana, only to see her giving me the look. I sighed, taking a deep breath before making the small distance to the rowdy table.

"Um, what can I get you guys?" I asked, after coming to a halt in front of the booth. The so called 'popular' people adverted their attention to me and I shifted from one foot to another, feeling their judging gazes.

"Oh, I didn't see you there." Rebecca smirked and looked me up and down. "I don't know how I didn't, you are awfully big." I gulped and fidgeted my fingers with the old pen I was holding, waiting to write down their order.

"We'll have three baskets of chili fries. We would save some for you, but I don't think you need the extra weight." Seth, the head basketball star, spoke up. I wrote down the order and uttered a 'be out in a minute' before going back to the counter.

I felt tears come to my eyes and I desperately tried to blink them away, not wanting their words to affect me like they do. They shouldn't have the satisfaction of getting any reaction out of me. I set the reciept on the little window, alerting the cooks to make the order. I gripped the counter so hard that my knuckles turned white. Looking up at the clock, I sighed seeing that it was only eight.

"You okay, Rose?" I looked up to see Jim, the chef giving me a concerned look. I plastered a smile on my face and nodded."Hey, can you stay til nine? We have an interview for a new assistant chef soon and I need some help to see if he's alright. I can get Beth to come get you if not."

"Yeah, i'll stay." I was about to finish my sentence but heard my name from the back booth. I rolled my eyes and skated in their direction. "Yes?" I breathed out.

"Here, this might come in handy." I hesitantly took the piece of paper from Seth and immediately frowned. It was a gym membership. I went back to the counter and over to the trash can before ripping the paper to shreds and watching the pieces fall into the bin. I felt things hit my back and then quarters hit the floor.

"Strip club's right next to you." I said loudly and heard some of them 'ooh' making me smirk to myself a little.

"Shutup Seth." I heard Rebecca say and I looked up to see Jim stifling a laugh. Out of everyone in the diner, I was closest wiht Jim. He was one of the first people to work here when my grandpa opened it fifteen years ago. I started working here about six years ago, just bussing tables at age thirteen. Everyone here has practically raised me.

My grand father had always been like my parents. They passed away when I was thirteen and he took me in, seeing as I had no other family. I lived with Jim and his wife Beth up until I went to college. My grandfather died last year due to cancer and Beth immediately offered to take me in.

"Order up." Jim hit the bell and I grabbed the tray before skating to the table and practically throwing the baskets on the table. I quickly went back to the counter and refilled Dan's coffee before setting the check down on the back booth. They all pitched in money and left but not before making cow noises as they passed me. Dan left and soon enough it was just me and Jim. I was cleaning up the booth when the front bell rang and a rushed British accent started speaking.

"Sorry I'm late. I got out of soccer practice late." I turned slightly to see a guy, probably my age, running through the door. Jim shook his hand and they sat down in a booth before talking. I continued to clean up the mess and and wipe down all of the tables before going to clean up the counter. I wiped it up and sweeped the floor, finishing right when the new guy and Jim stood up.

"See you tomorrow." The guy walked out and I quirked an eyebrow at Jim.

"Did you hire him?" I asked and he nodded. I took off my skates and apron before grabbing my bag.

"Ready?" Jim asked and I followed him out to the old pick up truck in the empty parking lot.

"So Harry is starting tomorrow. I'm not gonna be there so I need you to show him how it all works."

"Harry? What kind of name is that?" I asked and Jim laughed, shaking his head at me.

"He's from England. I don't know." I laughed and looked out the window to see the passing city of Carmel California. I could smell the salt water from the ocean through the car window and I sighed happily. I loved where I live.