20. To bets and new beginnings !

Through the showcase, Aramith watched the white haired girl who had just abandoned her because of some stupid phone calls.

She sighed. "I am, sooooo, bored," Aramith complained, rolling her eyes. "Entertain me, Alex..."

Alexander looked over the homeless woman with a grin. "What do you want me to tell you about ?"

Before Selwyn could answer Asterin came back into the pub and settled next to Alexander again, still shuddering. "It is so ridiculously cold outside," she mumbled.

Asterin slipped her trench coat over her shoulders and leaned back in her chair. She took a sip of her drink and raised an eyebrow when she saw Alexander's inquisitive stare.

"Well, who was it ?"

She considered not telling them before deciding against it and taking a deep breath. "Orion is going to come live at my place."

Alexander frowned as he looked over to the woman next to him. She seemed to be trying her hardest to avoid everyone's eyes.

"Orion is your brother, right ?" he asked and she nodded, still not looking at any of them. "Did he ask or did you offer ?"

"Well, a bit of both actually." Asterin said finally raising her eyes to look at him.

"I think it is time to set things right." she added turning back to face straight ahead.

"It seems fair. So long as the helping goes both way and he doesn't leech off of you. Family is an odd thing, better make everything right with those who you still care for," Elisabeth added.

Asterin smiled a bit. "Yes, family is a strange thing." she said before gulping the rest of her drink down. "Shall we talk about something else ?" she asked on a lighter tone. Alexander grinned. "Well you won our little bet. You solved three more cases than me in the last six months. So what do you want ?"

Asterin narrowed her eyes. "I told you it is per arrest so it's four."

Blythe turned to the pair. "Asterin I adore you but who broke down a door, fought a serial killer and had a knife uncomfortably close to her neck?"

Asterin threw her friend a look. "I save your life, don't forget it dear. And it does not matter who was with me, the bet does not include other players, what matters is that Alex was not doing the arrest."

Alexander rolled his eyes behind her back.

"Oh just get it over with and tell him what you want from him."

"A kiisss"

"I believe she already got that."

Alexander smirked and leaned forwards. "Yes, is that what you want ?"

"Oh... spicy."

Asterin's face was flushing. "Will you shut up ? Or I will ask you to do all my paperwork." she said through gritted teeth. Alexander raised his hands in surrender with a small smile. Asterin avoided his eyes uncomfortably.

"You once told me you were a very good cook." she drawled hesitatingly.

"Do you want me to bring you cookies ?" he asked with a raised eyebrow, seeming somewhat disappointed.

Asterin rolled her eyes. "No you idiot. I want you to invite me for dinner." she said very quickly as if she did not want him to understand.

Alexander's eyes were wide in surprise. Asterin frowned as he didn't answer.

"You know what ? Cookies are fine. Now shall we go ?" she said hopping off of her chair.

Alexander caught her by the hand and pulled her so she crashed into his chest. He tightened his arms around her, a foolish grin plastered on his face.