16. Are you SURE I can't punch him in the face ?

Asterin was annoyed and worried. They had just arrived at the station to lock Aramith Selwyn back up and she was now currently leaning on her office desk with crossed arms.

"If she does not die of sheer stubbornness and stupid recklessness, I will murder her." she said sharply before grabbing her phone to check for any reply messages from her friend.

Alexander, who was sitting in her chair, sighed and threw a tired smile her way.

"It's the third time you have said that. And no offense but you're so tiny, it's like being threatened by a kitten."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Do I need to be tall and bulky to shoot you ?."

Alexander was smirking at her when they heard a sudden knock at the door. A detective from their service opened the door, a pile of files resting in his arms.

"Hello to the both of you. Black, the captain wants to see you. Something about the DCI promotion. Now I got to get those to the storage room." The man sighed, nodding towards his pile before heading out.

Asterin straightened as she exchanged a look with Alexander and grinned. He smiled at her and got up.

"I'm happy you got it."

"Thank you. Although to be fairly honest, I thought you would get it."

The raven haired man shrugged. "I'll have other opportunities, and I don't think I wanted it nearly as much as you did. Shall I escort you ?"

"I can walk myself there, Alex." she said with a raised eyebrow.

He smiled at the nickname and got up, making an exaggerated gesture towards the door . "I'll do it anyway. After you, Tessi darling !"

She rolled her eyes before heading to their captain's office. When she got to the door, she threw a last look to Alexander who gave her a thumbs up.

Captain Johnson smiled at her as she entered and she had to struggle to keep a straight face. She had fought so hard for this promotion and now it was finally paying back.

"Ah, detective Black ! Sit down, please. Your work these last few months was very impressive and I think it is very good that you went after the Detective Chief Inspector position."

Asterin offered him a polite smiled and nodded in thanks.

"And that is why I am very sorry to say that you didn't get it."

Asterin's smile fell as she stared at the man in front of her. It took her a moment to grasp her mind around what he had just said and when she did, she was not sure she had heard him right.

"I beg your pardon ?" she finally managed to say after a few seconds.

"You didn't get the promotion, Black. Thronhood did." Johnson said with an apologetical smile. "You are very good at your work, be sure of it, but I think it's for the best. You're a bit young for the position and Thornhood has been in the service longer so he has a little more experience. And maybe this case wasn't ideal for you to get promoted, with the involvement of your brother and all that mess."

Asterin's jaw tightened. So this was it then ? Experience was probably just an excuse. Of course it would not look good to have a DCI who's brother was an addict had been a serious suspect to one of the most gruesome cases of the service.

"I hope you understand that it's nothing personal, Black. You are a valued element of our division and I have is no doubt you will go far and rise through the ranks."

"Yes, I will." Asterin said perhaps a bit to sharply. "Sir." she added with a wry smile to lessen the edge of her words. "If you will excuse me, I must go, sir."