Prologue

"Daddy? Mom? Can I sleep here?" A tiny figure asked from the doorway. Mary's eyes were puffy and her cheeks damp, her fingers tugging at the bottom of Carl's old shirt she had slept in. Her hair was tussled; it was far too long now, but she wouldn't let anyone cut it anymore. Rick wasn't sure why, but didn't care; his hair was overdue a cut too.
"Yeah, one sec. Turn around." Rick said quickly, and Mary did as he said. Rick pulled on some shorts, and Michonne pulled on one of Rick's shirts.
"I keep forgetting that we can't have a second to ourselves." Michonne laughed softly.
"Let's just be thankful she didn't come in an hour ago." Rick joked, and Michonne turned her head away in embarrassment.
"Can I come in now? Why wasn't Mishy dressed?"
"Because we... We was so tired we forgot to get dressed when we went to sleep." Rick lied, and Mary nodded in understanding, wriggling into their bed, in between her two parents.
"What's wrong, baby girl?" Michonne asked gently, as Mary nuzzled into Rick's bare chest.
"I miss Carl today. More than normal."
"Oh princess." Rick whispered, his voice choking.
"I lost Carl Bunny earlier. I got scared."
"You know he's still with you?"
"That's what Carol says. But I miss him too much. Him and Glenny. I miss them the mostest."
"I miss them too."
"I really miss Carl." Mary cried softly, and Rick held her tightly, kissing the top of her head. A tear trickled out of Rick's eye, and Michonne put a hand on his cheek, then his shoulder. The laid like that until Mary fell asleep, then Rick's hand moved to Michonne's cheek.
"Two months since he died. Two... Two months. How... I can't believe it's been two months. Sometimes I still go to tell Mary to go wake him up, or to take him a drink after she's had her snack, or to get him to read to her. I just... Two months." Rick whispered tearfully.
"I told Mary to go give him a kiss goodnight the other day." Michonne breathed, a tear running down her cheek.
"I just... I can't imagine them growing up without him. Judith will forget him. I can't imagine it."
"Me too," Michonne whispered softly, "me too."

***

"Uncle Sid..." Mary whined one day after school, walking into the infirmary whilst kicking her feet against the pavement.
"What?" The man chuckled, still smiling at what she'd just called him; he'd never get used to it.
"I cut myself. Please can you fix it." She sighed. Mary walked up to Siddiq, and sat on the table, holding out her arm to show him a long hash.
"Where'd you get this?"
"Don't tell daddy? Or mom!"
"I can't promise that. Where did you get it? If you don't tell me now, I'll get your daddy straight away."
"I was practicing with mom's sword after school. She was making lunch. I'm not very good."
Siddiq sighed, and cleaned when wound, then bandaged it up.
"Mary, where was you practicing with your mom's sword?"
"Because."
"That's not an answer. Do I need to get your daddy?"
"In case Negan gets out. Or... Or, in case one of the Saviours attacks us."
Siddiq sighed, then spoke up again. "But Mary, your Uncle Daryl is with the Saviours to make sure they don't hurt any of us. And Negan's in a cell. He can't get out, I promise. It's been six months now, Mary. Nothing's gonna happy. This is our life now. And it's safe. I promise."

***

Rick was stood on the porch, a mug of coffee in his hands, leant on the railings, watching the scene unfold.
"Babe? Whatcha doin'?" Michonne asked softly, a warm hand caressing the back of his neck. Rick put an arm around her, and kissed her cheek.
"This. Look at this." He whispered emotionally.
Michonne looked into the street, smiling too. Mary was there, dancing, running, skipping, singing down the road, alongside Izzy, Alex, Sofia, and two new children her age and one a year older, Cameron, Lily, and Molly. They were chasing Siddiq, playing a crazy game of tag, and Mary's eyes were bright and wide, her smile as big as her heart, her floaty green summer dress flying out around herself, her bare feet barely hitting the floor. She was flying.
"This is what I fought for. This is all I wanted. This is worth it," Rick whispered shakily, "this moment, right here, was worth everything I had to do. All the people I... I killed. All the things I did. Everything. It's all worth it for this moment right here."