Just An Outsider Looking In

Beth absolutely dazzled in her black dress with the low cut back - it was the most expensive dress she owned! Yet another thoughtful gift from Calvin, but one that she actually loved, since she was able to pick it out for herself. 

After Trudy helped her Mother dress, she helped Beth dress and do her hair. Her Mother always hated it when she wore her hair down, saying a proper lady should always wear it up. Beth would appease her tonight, but only because the dress was slightly scandalous and deserved to be seen.

Instead of a headwrap like most of the ladies wore these days, she entwined a strand of pearls in her hair - deciding that it went perfect with the dress she wore.

She glanced in the mirror one last time and almost didn't recognize herself!

"You look beautiful!" Trudy exclaimed.

"Thank you."

"If I may be so bold, you certainly are not the same Beth I met in England."

She bit her bottom lip."Good."

There was a sharp knock at the door, before it flung open. Her Mother, clad in an ocean blue dress with a shawl to match, opened her mouth to speak then quickly shut it. She simply stared in awe and disbelief at her young Daughter, dressed like the woman she so desperately tried to prove she was.

"You look extraordinary," She took ahold of Beth's hands."You're finally a woman."

"Nature says I've been a woman for eight years, Mother."

"Not that way, Elizabeth. In a maturity that I've never seen you have before," She ran her finger over a fine curl, then down her arm."This is all I've ever wanted for you."

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me. I am your Mother, after all. You should hear these things more often," She backed away and grinned."Now, let's go to dinner. Trudy, I'd like some tea when I return."

"Yes, Ma'am." She bowed, before scurrying off to her room.

"You'll make a fine wife, Beth."

Beth rolled her eyes, as she trailed behind her Mother."Yes, you tell me all the time."

"Well, Calvin will make it easy I'm sure. He is suitable enough." She turned and locked the door to their cabin.

"Shall we go now?"

"Yes, yes, of course."

They began their journey to the first class dining room, stopping every so often to mingle with the other passengers. Beth waited impatiently for Molly and Arthur to enter, so she could have a reason to excuse herself from the mind numbing chatter.

Until then she casually listened, but just enough to offer a smile or a demure laugh - anything to keep from getting a lecture on her ill mannerisms.

"Elizabeth, congratulations on your impending nuptials to Calvin, he speaks so highly of you!" Lady Victoria exclaimed.

Beth forced a smile."Thank you, Ma'am."

Thankfully the newly wedded royal turned back to her Mother, leaving Beth alone to her own devices - which could become a disaster, if she had to hear her Mother tell one more story about planning the wedding!

"Beth!" Molly bellowed from across the room.

Beth turned and caught the sight of Arthur, his hair slicked back, freshly shaved, wearing that tuxedo like he owned it. She offered a smile and a demure wave, as Arthur escorted Molly Brown toward the small group of women for introductions.