Chapter 9

In the morning, I snuck into Itachi's room and left a note reminding him not to act alone on his night stand, and then set off for the gates. I wanted to make good time so I could be back sooner to help Itachi.

I grabbed my kunai pouch and strapped it to my left thigh, and grabbed my backpack from the door of my room. I left a note for Mom and Father, explaining that I'd be gone, and I was off.

"Mika!" I heard an angry voice shout at me as I neared the gates. I stopped and turned around hesitantly. I honestly wasn't in the mood. I already had a lot on my plate. It was Kakashi. Great. So he didn't take it well.

"Yes?" I asked coldly, still angry with him for yesterday.

"Why the hell did you get me removed from ANBU?" He was glaring daggers at me, even raising his headband showing me his sharingan. He was pissed. I've never seen him this angry with anyone we weren't trying to kill, but especially not with me. Its honestly a little scary, but I chose to not let it effect me. In the end, I knew Kakashi would never hurt me.

"Because you're depressed." I glared back. "And I'm worried about you." I said, still coldly. It was true, but I was still so angry with how he's treating everyone, I couldn't bring myself to be soft with him.

"I'm not your responsibility." He replied just as cold as I was. Was he serious?

"Well when you push everyone out of your life, what the hell do you expect Ka-Kakashi?" I yelled, stumbling over his name. I couldn't call him Kashi anymore, and it hurt. I sighed, and closed my eyes tightly before opening them and looking back at his angry ones. "Look, I have a mission. Just know that it wasn't only me that thought of this, and we did it because we care about you. Even when you're acting like an ass." I continued to raise my voice at him.  I never stopped glaring at him either. He needed some tough love right now. I turned on my heels to make my way out of the village, but was stopped again by Kakashi grabbing my wrist. I didn't turn around, only listened. I refused to allow him to continue to push me around just because he was sad.

"You may be worried, but you don't need to be. I am fine. I just need space." He still sounded pissed, but he was softening a little bit.

"Space is one thing. Basically telling your best friend to get out of your life is another. Lord Third wouldn't have agreed if he didn't think the same. Let me go." I said firmly. He released my wrist, and I walked away, not turning back to look at him. I would never leave if I did. One thing was for sure, I have a soft spot for Kakashi. Even if I'm angry with him.

After walking for seemingly forever, it was dark outside. I decided to set up camp and get some sleep. I had probably a day and a half more of travel, and I didn't want to overdo it on day one. I set up my fire, and ate some of the rice balls I brought from home for dinner. My thoughts were all over the place. I couldn't stop thinking about Itachi and Danzo. I prayed that Itachi would listen to me and wait to make any kind of decision until after talking with Lord Third. I was also so angry with Danzo for making my brother choose this that I wanted to kill him myself. Who puts this on a teenager?! He doesn't deserve this. Maybe I should have just had an arranged marriage to Shisui and been leader. I could have shouldered this burden for Itachi, and would gladly do so any day. I was selfish to think that Itachi could just make all of my problems go away by being born a boy. Sure, it did for awhile, but look where it's gotten us.

I also couldn't get Kakashi out of my head for several reasons. I wanted more than anything to share this clan issue with him and hear his opinion, but I promised Itachi I wouldn't, and he's not even talking to me, so I can't. I really hope working outside of ANBU helps him come back to himself. I miss my best friend, and we've only been not talking for like a day. But I've seen this coming for awhile. He's slowly pushing everyone away.  I knew the day would come that he'd push me away too. I just didn't know it would hurt as much as it does.