CHAPTER 14

Getting back to the apartment takes longer than expected. I tried calling Joe, but he didn't answer. We round the corner of the apartment and stop short. The block is filled with police cars, fire trucks, and innocent bystanders staring at the apartment. We step back to see, and my heart stops. What was the outer wall of our apartment now has a gigantic hole in the shape of a dragon.

"Joe," I cry out.

I shove my way through the crowd. An ambulance sits at the curb outside the apartment, with Joe in the back. His face is pale like he's just seen a ghost. There is a grey blanket draped over his shoulders, and a huge gash right above his brow.

"Joe," I sob.

I push through the last group of people. He tries to stand but the EMT worker beside him holds him down. I rush over and throw my arms around him. He grunts.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"It's okay, everything just hurts a little," he moans.

"I'm sorry I didn't get here fast enough."

Rowan stops behind me and places a hand on my shoulder.

"What happened?" Rowan asks.

"This is going to sound completely insane," he says.

I shake my head and touch his leg gently, "Believe me when I say whatever you're about to tell me is not insane."

"Hailey turned into..."

"A dragon?" I ask.

"Yes," he whispers.

I glance back at Rowan, "It's time."

"Time for what?" Joe asks.

I take a deep breath and rest a hand on his shoulder.

"I love you with all of my heart, but there are things that are too complicated to explain. Do you trust me?" I ask.

"With all my heart Phi."

His eyes widen, he knows.

"Why does this feel like goodbye?" He asks.

A tear falls down my cheek and I shake my head.

"I don't want it to be, but if I don't leave my kind will suffer, and I can't allow that. Please don't hate me for saying goodbye. My heart is breaking, but just know that I love you more than anything and if I can I'll be back."

The sadness radiating off him is too much for me.

"I don't understand what's happening, but I can't stop you from leaving. I'm gonna miss you girl," he says.

"I'll miss you most."

I hug him gently trying not to hurt him. I pull away, "Which way did she go?'

Joe takes a shaky breath then points north. I nod. "Thank you."

Rowan and I find a back alley, because what I'm about to try is going to spark a lot of questions if I do it in front of everyone. My heart is breaking for Joe and I wish things were different.

"I don't know if I can do this," I tell him.

"It's in you Seraphine, it always has been. You just have to want it," he says.

I close my eyes and imagine Dragona before Hailey destroyed it. I think about what it feels to have the wind rush through my scales as I soar through the sky. A fire rages inside and I yell out in pain.

"It hurts," I moan.

"I'm here Seraphine, you got this."

My whole body shakes with a thunderous roar. Fingertips become talons and skin changes to scales. A roar leaves my mouth and echoes through the streets. Rowan climbs onto me. I flap my wings and squeeze through the tiny opening above the alley and up into the skies of the city.