CHAPTER 10

The scream that shattered my heart all those years ago echoes through my head. I open my eyes. It takes me a moment to realize I'm in my old bedroom. I blink several times to make sure this is real. I peek down and notice not only am I in my childhood bedroom, but I'm in my adult body. This is a nightmare.

I hear the thud, the sound is loud and clear. I know what I'm gonna find the moment I walk out there. My body jolts as a ghost-like version of me as a child separates from my body. It rubs its eye and wanders sleepily out of the room. I follow the spirit into the hallway, knowing exactly what we're going to find when we go into that kitchen.

As I follow her I realize we aren't going into the kitchen, we're headed into mom's bedroom. We walk right by my mom's body, the vision of it makes me sick to my stomach. Even in this dream like state I can feel myself wanting to vomit. We continue towards the room. I hear a rattling noise like someone is jiggling drawerers. The spirit leads me to the room then vanishes into thin air.

I step inside cautiously. The moment I do I see it, only it doesn't have wings. It's not an it, not a dragon, but what appears to be a young girl - no, it's a woman. She's got angelic blonde hair and an aura about her like she's some sort of God or goddess maybe.

"Seraphine."

Her whispers are soft like the wind, and I can't help but move towards her like some kind of magnetic pull forcing me.

"Who are you?" I ask, my voice shakes with sudden fear by the familiar tone in their voice.

She lifts her arms as the robe she wears flares out and hands below her arms. The fabric is silky like angel wings, only this is no angel I can feel it in my blood. This is pure evil.

She starts to turn slowly as she continues to say my name. Her voice is like music soft and gentle, but behind that is something sinister. My knees shake with anticipation as she slowly turns to face me. I try to stay focused on her face but I'm distracted by the glowing aura around her entire body. A heartbeat later I'm staring into familiar green eyes. My body tenses at the sight.

Everything suddenly vanishes and I feel like I'm being pulled away, only the eyes remain in my vision.

I wake with a start and those exact green eyes stare into mine.

"Hailey," I whisper.