Chapter 12 - Glimpsing the Past (Padme)

The sun has barely risen when I leave my bedroom. Anakin follows, though it's clear he'd rather not be awake yet. Movement in the living room draws my attention, and I step inside to see the sisters sitting on the couch. They aren't talking, but Ariana is examining a datapad I'm pretty sure isn't mine.

"Is that my datapad?" asks Anakin, slipping past me.

Ariana looks up at him and raises an eyebrow. "I dunno. You tell me. Is it?"

He snatches it from her hands, examining it. "Yes, it is. Where did you find it?"

"It was over here," Ramona answers, motioning.

"Can you show me how to use it?" Ariana questions, looking up at him. "It reminds me a little of a tablet, but I know it's not the same."

"What's a tablet?" demands Anakin, confused.

"It's – um – similar to a datapad," offers Teagan.

"But the technology isn't as advanced," Ariana agrees.

"Sure," Anakin shrugs, agreeing to her initial request before passing it back to her.

I watch them silently, their interactions never failing to interest me. I'm not a Jedi, but even I can clearly see how much the sisters care about Anakin. My gaze zeroes in on Ramona. She seems abnormally tense this morning – I can see it in her movements. Come to think of it, they all do. They have since the meeting with the Chancellor last night. It bothers me, and they don't seem inclined to share with me or Anakin.

"Would you like to help me prepare breakfast?" I inquire, turning to Teagan and Ramona.

"Sure!" Teagan exclaims, standing up and walking towards me. Ramona joins her. They're trying to act normal, but I can see their tenseness – perks of having been a Senator. I can read people's body language, even if they're doing their best to appear normal.

Anakin sits down next to Ariana and begins showing her how to use the datapad as we enter the kitchen. I quickly give the sisters instructions. They've helped before, so I don't need to supervise. We work in silence for several minutes. Ramona is by far the easiest to read. Unlike Teagan, she isn't usually this quiet. As I cut the fruit, I study Ramona. Her shoulders are tensed, almost as though she's expecting something to happen. It gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

"Is everything alright?" I ask softly.

They both freeze for a moment, before relaxing. "I don't know," Teagan answers finally, her voice quiet and strained.

"We do know, you mean," Ramona mutters under her breath. Her gaze darts towards her sister, and she shifts, almost nervously. "I think we're in trouble."

"Did you tell Anakin?" I question, suspecting a negative. If they had, he would have told me.

They shake their heads simultaneously. "You should tell him," I advise.

Ramona looks at me, a fiery determination in her eyes. "There's nothing he can do," she replies, her tone measured, "This is something we have to face alone."

"Yes, alone," Teagan echoes, a hint of bitterness in her voice.

"You don't have to do anything alone," I tell them, "I'm here. Anakin is here. We'll help you."

They don't reply, and for a moment, I'm not sure they even will. "It's not – you don't –" Ramona begins, finally pausing to collect her thoughts. "I wish it was possible, but it's not."

I consider reminding her that she can get our help without revealing the future but decide not to. She's stubborn – I can see it – and I don't think she'll react well if I try to push her, especially not when she's under so much tension, though from what, I don't know. I could probably convince Teagan to accept someone's help if I talk to her.