Chapter Twenty-Four: New Starts

"Love it when I'm play pretending, but I can take bullets to the heart..."

....................................................................................................................................................

Apparently, in school-world, punching someone gets you serious attention.

By that logic, I should've been famous.

All eyes were on me as I walked into HIstory of Strategy and Weaponry after leaving Dr. White's office, the Alphas and Gammas regarding me with a mixture of confusion, terror, and most surprisingly; admiration?

"So nice of you to join us Ms. Storm," Dr. Blakely sighed in exasperation, idly clicking through his powerpoint until it stopped on a picture of ancient Romans in togas that seemed incredibly feminine for battle. I was sure that by then, even he had heard about the gym incident, but she seemed totally unfazed. "If you would kindly stop gawking at the class and find your seat, I'd like to continue with the lesson."

I nodded, suddenly aware of the fact that every single student in the room was focused on me in rapt attention. Nerves shot through me, and, becoming unnaturally wary of my situation, I hurriedly made my way to my seat, ignoring the whispers and chatter of the other students.

Detra hugged me as soon as I sat down. "Thank god you're still here. We weren't sure what was going to happen after the Chelsea incident."

"Thought Dr. White was going to send me home?" I smirked cockily, leaning back as Dr. Blakely continued his lecture over Roman battle tactics.

Detra chuckled. "Thought you'd be dead, actually. We expected Dr. White to end you as soon as she heard about everything."

"She's certainly tried..."

"What?"

"Nothing," I replied hastily, quickly changing the topic. "Speaking of dead, how's Chelsea?"

"Totally wrecked," Riley said in a small voice, chiming in from the other side of the table. Her delighted tone at something so violent surprised both Detra and I. "She came into the infirmiry as I was leaving, and she looked pretty bad. You did some serious damage."

"She's only got a fractured arm apparently." My tone was filled with dissapointment. "Still, I guess it's karma enough, isn't it?"

Rubbing her arm that had been fractured in that first week of school by the wicked witch of the Omegas herself, Detra smiled. "Yeah, I guess it is. Thanks for that Storm."

I smiled at her, feeling a sense of pride surging through me. "No problem Croft."

"You're the one that beat the Omega girl up?

My head whipped around at a playful voice to my right, laying eyes on a Gamma girl at the table next to us I'd never really paid attention to before. She looked at me with intelligent hazel eyes that seemed to analyze every tiny feature I had as she played with her bright orangey hair. My gaze was quickly pulled to the mechanical parts scattered on her work space.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, that'd be me."

There was a slight ackward tension between us for a moment before she broke it with a slow smile and soft, jingly laugh. "I can't believe you did that. This entire school is in debt to you, you know that?"

"Thanks," I replied with a surprised grin, glancing back at Detra and Riley hesitantly.

Laughing again, the girl set down the small part she'd been working with and extended her hand. "I'm sorry, I guess we've never been introduced. Joey Blair."