Chapter Fifteen: Off to the Races

Let me say once again how much I hate mornings.

The sun blazed down hotter than a bulb at a tanning salon as the Alpha girls and I stood in the middle of one of the island's forests. The Alpha guys and the Omegas were there with us, and there was no teacher in sight. Normally, I would have loved that. But I was currently sweating through my S.O.S. gym shirt and shorts like a pig, and was about ready to call it a day and hop on the next pod out.

"Why are we out here?" Destiny groaned, examining her silver nails. I shielded my eyes as they shimmered like a disco ball, blinding anyone within ten feet.

"No clue," Detra replied as she leaned back against a large tree. "But could Harris have been more cryptic? Giving directions into the middle of nowhere, at least half a mile away from the pod station, and making us wait. Who does that?

I laughed. "Second week, and we're already being left for dead."

The other two chuckled, going back to silently resting. Not only had Coach Harris pulled us from breakfast hour, but he'd sent out a mass alert at 5:30 that morning, telling us to be at a forwarded location by 6:30. Looking up, I could see the sun was barely up, and the pale blue sky was streaked with light pink like blown glass. I sighed. So this was why teenagers don't like school.

Stella and Riley made their way up to us from the crowd of guys gathered around Shock. They looked in even worse wear than I was, their foreheads slicked with sweat and their hair frizzing up from the humidity.

"Alright, the guys have no clue why we're here," Stella stated, sitting down next to Detra. "Plus I think Shock is stapling himself for some reason; I really don't understand you Americans."

Riley sighed, obviously exasperated by now. "Look, no one knows why we were told to be out here, and I'm ready to go back to the dorms. If no one shows up within 20 minutes, I'm gone."

I snorted slightly as I saw Destiny smirk out of the corner of my eye at Riley's unusually crabby behavior.  "Someone gets testy in the mornings. What's wrong, forget to drink your nerd-juice?"

"Don't test me Destiny."

The two stared each other down before I snapped at both of them. "For God's sakes, knock it off. It's nearly 7:00 in the morning and you're being idiots."

Riley gaped at me in disbelief, while Destiny's glossed-lipped turned to a grin. "I knew there was a reason I liked you Storm."

I couldn't help but smile. As much as it killed me, I was actually starting to like these girls. They were great, besides the partly crazy bit, and they actually liked me. It was...nice. Who knew I would actually enjoy having friends?

Of course, right across the way was Chelsea to ruin the good moment. Her shiny caramel hair somehow remained frizz-free, she had a full-face of perfectly applied make-up, and there didn't seem to be a drop of sweat on the girl. It was infuriating how someone could be as perfect as a magazine model, not to mention the fact that she and her Omega croonies kept pointing and laughing. I mean, seriously? Are we eight?

"Class, ten-hut!"

I snapped out of my daze as a deep voice boomed around us. The others and I simply turned as Coach Harris came striding out of the depths of the forest, clad in a tacky baseball cap, shirt, and gym shorts that were a little too short for comfort. You'd really think a man rumoured to be a former member of SEAL Team 6 might dress a little better.

Harris grunted and shook his head as we stood idlely talking or silently shooting glares at the man denying us breakfast. I folded my arms across my chest, partly in annoyance and partly because the sleep deprivation and hunger were kicking in.