4

Nkechi's heart thundered in her chest as she slowly made her way up the platform. Her throat was thick with emotion and her eyes were narrowed on the scene before her. Her brother gripped her hand in comfort, but the emotion was not felt. Nkechi did not feel soothed, not when her father stood on the platform with Kofi by his side as he announced a betrothal that went against everything she stood for. Nkechi slowly gnawed on her bottom lip as Kofi stood smugly.

His gaze lingered triumphantly on Nkechi before he turned his head back to the crowd. People reached out to Nkechi with celebratory embraces as she tried to force her way through the crowd.

Razi Matin's eyes lit up once he saw that his two missing children were finally present. Matin cleared his throat and clapped his hands to quiet the boisterous crowd. When nothing but the sound of trees rustling could be heard, Matin began his long drawn out speech. His words were drowned out in Nkechi's ringing ears until he finally mentioned her name. As if being lodged out of a deep slumber, Nkechi jerked to attention.

"It is my greatest pleasure to announce this union that we have waited some time for. My Solah and beloved wife received a sign that it is time. Come, daughter."

Nkechi glared at her mother as the betrayal rung clear. There was no way that her mother could have received such a sign because Nkechi's dreams had been too vivid. Her mother was an imposter and a liar. The betrayal was more than that of a mother to a daughter. It was also the betrayal of a holy woman who had been trusted to give truth and guidance but had led her tribe astray.

Nkechi stepped closer to her father, edging away from where she stood but the soft palm and the rich almond scent of her mother made her pause. There was turmoil in Zira's eyes, and it made Nkechi automatically rethink all of her previous suspicions.

Her mother knew and she was playing her part. Zira lightly stroked Nkechi's cheeks before stepping away from the congregation. Rajal gripped her mother's shoulder in a reassuring embrace but his face did not match the touch and neither did Ife's. The trio looked distraught.

"Daughter, come here," her father repeated.

Nkechi begrudgingly moved away from the mourning trio and made her way to the podium.

"What are you doing?" her father spat, "Come here."

The vein in Matin's neck bulged at Nkechi's refusal to climb onto the podium. She hoped that by standing beneath her father, Matin would take her words lightly, but she knew that there was little hope of that. 

"I don't want this." She whispered the words, pleading with her father even when she knew he would remain deaf to her wants.

"Now is not the time Nkechi, step by your betrothed so we can move forwards," Matin quickly dismissed.

"No," she murmured back.

"What did you say?" her father questioned disbelievingly.

"I said no. Please, understand that this isn't right. I can't marry him."

Nkechi rarely asked her father for anything. She did not expect him to favour her over anyone, but in this instance, she hoped his duty and concern as her parent would outweigh that of his duties as the leader of a Nation and tribe.

His scowling face quickly dismissed all of those notions.

"You misunderstand me, Nkechi. This is not an option: the decision has been made. There will be no debate or discussion, you will simply marry him. Now move to your betrothed's side. I won't ask you again."

Matin gritted his teeth when she refused to move.

The curiosity of the tribespeople was piqued at the low-level whispering. They noted Nkechi's stance, but no one anticipated Matin's next move. Sharp gasps left their lips as Matin gripped Nkechi by her arm and dragged her to where she was supposed to stand. She fought him tooth and nail. Her feet scraped on the floor as everyone stood by in utter shock. Everyone but her brother Femi who was restrained by warriors, due to a silent command given by Kofi.