17

Nkechi was not herself that morning. Her thoughts were elsewhere, mainly on what she had overheard the night before, there was a roaring disappointment all throughout her being. Makaio was good with his words, his apologies had disarmed her, but she finally knew what he thought of her.

He thought she was damaged and one look at her skin and anyone would agree. She subconsciously pulled the shawl tighter around her body as she sat by the water lost in thought. Every so often her thoughts were interrupted by someone greeting her. It had been hours and it seemed that Makaio would not be returning for her. The man was a sneaky liar.

"That's quite a scowl you have there."

Nkechi squinted up at the copper haired beauty before her. The woman had odd eyes, slanted like a serpent as something flickered beneath them.

Nkechi's instinct reared its head and screamed there was danger nearby.

"I am Jiya." She stuck her hand out for Nkechi to shake. Nkechi reluctantly shook the woman's hand just as a vision rocked her body at the touch.

"You are Draginiki, a very powerful one. Royal even."

"Impressive" Jiya grinned. "You could tell all that through a handshake?"

"You hardly hide your secrets. It was obvious before we even touched but the vision confirmed it all. You are a long way from home."

"So are you," she chided.

"I have no home."

"Everyone has a home, even if it is one you are running from."

"I'm not running. It was merely my time to leave. I was prepared to go but I was not prepared for this turn of events. I did not imagine I would be here so soon."

"Where did you plan to go if not towards your destiny?"

Nkechi grimaced at all the questions, but she felt that she could be open this woman. It was an odd feeling to have. She had just met her but there was some force that had her eager to divulge her truth.

"If this is truly my destiny then surely every route or decision would always lead me back to this place. Surely then there can be no running away from it?"

Jiya snorted at Nkechi's words, "Goddess, you are all the same. You speak in riddles just like my sister did."

"Was your sister gifted with sight?" Nkechi asked tentatively. It did not skip her attention that Jiya had mentioned her sister in past tense.

"Do you mind if I-"

Jiya pointed to the spot by Nkechi and waited for her gentle nod before plopping down beside her.

Bronze hands pushed back the thick mass of waves. Jiya's features were so striking. Such rich copper hair had no place on skin as bronze as hers and yet the colour only enhanced her amber eyes and rich skin tone. Nkechi had only ever seen one person with features like Jiya's.

"My sister was Alhasmiji. A devout seer who dedicated her life to worshiping the Goddess. My parents were content that their eldest would honour family this way but when they died my uncle became the warden of our tribe and decreed that my sister was to be wed. This went against her religious vows and so she fled. I never saw her again."

Tears lined Jiya's eyes, but Nkechi could see that any sign of comfort would only infuriate this woman. There was a cold anger and determination in her watery eyes.