12

"So, your nation does not refer to themselves as N'galiki."

Nkechi fought the urge to roll her eyes to the sky at this repeated question. She had been seated in this house for who knew how long, and the questions were never ending.

"That is correct. My nation finds it extremely offensive to refer to us as such. We are not skin shifters. My nation's ability to shift forms has nothing to do with magic per say but is a sacred bond crafted by the Goddess as a gift to my people."

The council members grunted in response. Nkechi could see their brains wracking to find more questions. Her nails dug into her thighs as she stared blankly at them from over the table.

Nkechi was tired of the constant questioning. From the moment the council members had met her, she had been bombarded with question after question. She had been aware that this would be the case the moment she told Makaio to fetch the council, but she had hoped they wouldn't have been so disrespectful.

They had barely introduced themselves, merely giving names and taking her to a secluded house before they began the interrogation. She was tired, hungry, thirsty, and just down right over the whole ordeal.

Makaio shot her a contrite look, he hated that he had been the one to bring the council members to her. They had at first been mystified by her markings. Some had known at once what her skin meant but the rest had no clue. The moment the rest of the council were  informed, their trepidation shone through in their line of unreasonable and downright disrespectful questioning.

Their questions had been expressed the first time but when they continued to plague her with the same questions both Nkechi and Makaio grew annoyed.

"Hmm and you don't call the Goddess Savuriya?"

Nkechi's lips pulled into a tight smile as she prepped herself to reiterate the same point. Again. She was sure that this was her third time answering this particular question. Although no one had been as brazen to ask the same exact question, the meaning was still the same, as would be her answer. 

"That is also correct. As previously stated, though we worship the same deity, the Goddess revealed herself to our ancestor under a different name. To us she is Yahuna, Our Night Lady as it was at night she revealed and bestowed her power upon us."

"How do you know that the name you refer to her as is correct. Perhaps your ancestor was incorrect?"

"Yes, good question Kohiy, and what exactly do those marks on your skin mean." Another council member by the name of Jefru asked. He had thick long hair that was braided back, the hairstyle emphasised his high cheekbones and feline shaped eyes.

Nkechi huffed out a breath of air and narrowed her eyes at the council members. Her politeness had reached its end.

"How do you know that you are correct in your assumption of the Goddesses name?" Challenged Nkechi.

"Yes well, we know because- well because- "

Nkechi interjected Kohiy's sputtering with her sharp tone. Her elbows rested on the table and she leaned forward with her hands spread flat.

"I'll happily remind you of our history. Of the three nations, The Daharen came first. Pathikyo travelled to my tribe, the Feri tribe and settled with one of my ancestors. His first direct encounter with humans was with our ancestor. He revealed himself to her first and created my direct ancestor, Osemi. The Goddess revealed herself to Osemi first. This happened long before the Goddess bestowed her gifts to Solayka. So again, how do you know that your ancestor was not wrong?

You asked the meaning of these marks?" Nkechi ripped the material of her top to show the splattering of white splotches that covered her arms.

"These marks mean that I am a Funai. I communicate with The Goddess in ways that your small minds could never grasp. I have her favour above all else. I am her vessel in this life and through me she shapes the world. So, the next time you think to inundate be with your senseless, repetitive and for a lack of better word, stupid, questions remember that."