16

"SO YOU REALLY TRASHED his whole house?" Kenzie chuckled, walking down the dimmed streets of LA with Johnny. He just told Kenzie about how the entire Cheetah team trashed Ashton's house the past year, right before the big game. Ashton said he would get them back but he never did. 

"Yep," Johnny smiled. "It was sick," He laughed. If he focused on Kenzie enough, the pain of today's events faded from his mind. As they continued to walk, the sky darkened. 

"Shit what time is it?" Johnny asked, pointing to the dark sky indicating it was well past midnight. 

"I don't know," Kenzie laughed. "I turned my phone off," She smiled. Johnny led her to his car, and they both climbed in. She gave him her address for google maps, and he began to drive. As Kenzie turned her phone back in, she noticed over 60 messages from Emily. She knew she was mad at Emily for her outburst at the game, but her eyes quickly skimmed the texts and she let out a light gasp. 

"Everything okay?" Johnny asked Kenzie, tapping her with his left hand while keeping his right hand on the steering wheel. 

"Yeah, of course!" Kenzie said in the most normalized tone she could maintain. She didn't know if Emily was telling the truth, but she needed to find out. After five silent minutes of them enjoying the car ride, Kenzie decided to lightly bring up the subject. 

"I know you're trying to put the game out of your head, but I was always curious about something that happens every year with your school," She started. Johnny nodded, not comprehending where she was going with the conversation, but accepting it as a valid talking point.

"And that is? He asked curiously, his green eyes reflecting back light from the traffic lights.

"The Northside Flagger List," Kenzie said, releasing her breath. As soon as she said the four words, she saw Johnny flinch, his hands shaking, "Who writes it?" she asked him. 

"I really don't know," Johnny said, his voice still shaking. "It's kind of a tradition here, so the person keeps themselves anonymous." Johnny said.

"Oh," Kenzie responded. She saw the way he reacted and she was almost certain– Emily was telling the truth. 

"When will it come out this year?" Kenzie asked Johnny, who was fidgeting with the leather of his car.

"It's always set for 12:00, so I guess it's out already," Johnny said. "Don't check it, it's weird." He said, but Kenzie was already typing in the website to find it. As Johnny said, there it was. 

NORTHSIDE FLAGGER LIST 2020

1. ASHER ANGEL

2. HAYDEN SUMMERALL

3. CARSON LUEDERS

4. JOEY BIRLEM

5. ARMANI JACKSON

SPARED: JOHNNY ORLANDO - GAVE A GREAT GAME AND SHOWED STRONG PLAYING QUALITIES. THE REST ARE ON THE LIST FOR THEIR ERRORS AND FAILURES.

KENZIE didn't have to think twice before turning her head to Johnny with anger. She shoved her phone in his face, causing him to quickly stop the car right in front of her house. 

"It's you, isn't it?" Kenzie asked him. "You spared yourself and put your best friends on a list that will torment them for the rest of the year? You do this every year?" Kenzie began raging. 

Johnny stared back at her, closing his eyes, unable to say a word. 

"Fuck you, Johnny Orlando." Kenzie shook her head, retrieving her bag and slamming the door to his car. He watched her run to her door, unlock it, and close it behind her. 

He felt the girl slipping away from him.