The Show Must Go On {11}

“Scott, your tardiness is getting on my nerves,” I said as Scott came over to Bennett and I.

                “I’ll let you know when I care,” Scott said, leaning against the wall.

                “Don’t do anything stupid with Neo today,” Bennett said to me.

                “I didn’t even say we were hanging out,” I said.

                “You act like I don’t know you,” Bennett said, crossing his arms.

                I grinned. “Then you know that I wouldn’t do anything stupid with Neo.”

                “Don’t make more work for me, Alexander,” Bennett said.

                I pat him on the shoulder. “Wouldn’t dream of it, Ben.”

                “I hate to interrupt this touching moment, but are you actually planning to keep this awkward relationship with Neo a secret from Donnie?” Scott asked.

                “Of course. I told him I would, and I meant it,” I said. “Donnie would be bothersome.”

                “Donnie won’t be a problem,” Bennett said.

                “I know that. I said he would be bothersome, not a problem,” I said. “Do you even listen to me?”

                “No, you annoy me,” he said. “Scott’s my favorite, he’s too lazy to annoy me.”

                “Damn, that’s why he’s my favorite,” I said.

                “Fight over me, peasants,” Scott said.

                “Shut up Scotty,” I said.

                “You called me Scotty, Bennett wins by default,” Scott said.

                I rolled my eyes. “Oh, shut up. I let you and Bennett get away with calling me James and Alex. I think I can get away with calling you Scotty every once in a while.”

                “I don’t call you James out of respect. I do call you Alex, though. Alexander is so damn long,” Scott said.

                “So deal with the occasional Scotty,” I said, flicking him in the ear, snickering when he gave me his squinting eyes glaring-at-you-but-not-really-because-nothing-ever-makes-me-angry look.

                “Alexander,” Bennett said, yanking my hand away from Scott’s ear. “Come here, I have to talk to you.”

                “What, I can’t hear it?” Scott asked, raising an eyebrow.

                “I just need to talk to him,” Bennett said flatly, dragging me away. He pushed me against the lockers, out of earshot of everyone in the hallway.

                “Don’t push me,” I said in annoyance.

                “This isn’t a game anymore, is it?” he demanded.

                “What?” I asked in confusion.

                “Your mood has changed. It’s because of Neo. You’re starting to fall for him,” he said, his tone accusing.