The Show Must Go On {8}

I sat in my last class, bored out of my mind. The bell rang and I jumped up, eager to go out to dinner with Neo.

                Donnie didn’t even look at me as he left the room, so I was guessing that Neo hadn’t told him anything. Oh, already sneaking around behind Donnie’s back. This was already fun.

                I went down to my locker, where Bennett and Scott were waiting. Bennett crossed his arms over his chest as I put in my combination.

                “Something you need to say, Bennett?” I asked.

                “Nothing you don’t already know,” he said flatly.

                “You two are the living embodiment of the ‘passive-aggressive Post-it notes’ card,” Scott said.

                “Scott, sometimes I wish you were too lazy to speak,” I said.

                “Sometimes I wish I was too lazy to be around you two and your passive-aggressive Post-it noteness,” he said.

                “It would benefit everyone if you stopped talking,” Bennett said.

                “For the good of others, I’ll shut up,” Scott said, stepping back and slouching against the lockers.

                “You’re taking him out in public,” Bennett said. “I don’t think that’s your best idea. I can’t help you if you do that.”

                “I can handle this myself, Bennett,” I said.

                “I hope for your sake that you’re right,” he said.

                “I’m not an idiot. I know what I’m doing,” I said, shutting my locker.

                “Let’s go, Scott,” Bennett said, turning away from me.

                “Scott is not a dog,” Scott said.

                “Scott,” Bennett growled. “You’re going to be late to dinner with your parents. I’m your ride home, and they’ll blame me. Let’s go.”

                Scott sighed. “I’d rather not go. I hate going out to eat with my parents.”

                “Let’s go. Don’t get yourself into trouble Alexander,” Bennett said, grabbing Scott’s arm and dragging him along down the hallway.

                I rolled my eyes and took off in search of Neo. I found him alone at his locker and went up to him, smiling cheerfully.

                “Dinner tonight,” I said.

                “Gee, thanks, I totally would’ve forgotten that I had a date with Satan,” he said. His eyes widened a little. “Not a date. This is NOT a date. I’m just doing this so you’ll leave me alone from now on. Got it, asshole?”

                “Got it,” I said. “I’ll come pick you up at five. That gives you time to get ready.”

                “Is this going to be a fancy place? I hate fancy places. I’m a white girl Panera kind of guy,” he said.

                “Just put on clothes that aren’t so loose on you,” I said. “Don’t worry about dressing up like it’s the dinner we went to with our parents.”