Chapter Twenty-One: Hint

Note:  This chapter contains sexual material

"Try and say that," Alana said with a smile as she pointed at the word "bibimbap" on the menu, her eyes twinkling.

Gino scrunched up his face in concentration and he stared at the letters for several long moments.  She rested her head upon her folded hands and watched silently.  For a while, all she could hear were the loud conversation and laughing of other customers in the Korean tofu house restaurant.

"Bee..." he began, and Alana pursed her lips to prevent herself from bursting out laughing.

A smile twitched at her lips when her boyfriend paused and crinkled his brows together.

"Bee..." he tried again, hesitantly.  "Bee-beam-bap?" Gino asked, looking up at her as if seeking approval.

Alana couldn't help it.  A fit of giggles burst form her lips and her shoulders shook.  His lips pouted and her giggles quickly became laughter when she saw the look on his face.  He did not look amused.

She knew that he was being playful and teased, "That wasn't too bad."

Gino's lips quirked and he snickered before running a hand through his hair and sighing.  "I was trying my best to not butcher the language."

"You didn't," Alana said, and he raised an eyebrow.  She grinned.  "Well, it could have been worse," she said honestly.

"So... how do you say it properly then?"

"Bee-bim-bahp," Alana said, enunciating slowly and clearly.  "You need to make sure that for the 'bap' at the end, it's kind of like a 'b' and a 'p' sound put together.  It's not just a 'b' sound.  And also, try and drag out the 'ah' sound in 'bap.'"

"Bee-beam-bahp," Gino tried again.

She shook her head.  "Bee-bim-bahp."

"Bee...  Bee-bim-bahp," he said hesitantly.

She grinned.  He looked and sounded so adorable when he was unsure.  "Mm good.  That's better."

Gino sighed heavily and slumped in his chair, running a hand over his face.  "I never thought I'd be this bad at Korean pronunciation."

"You're not bad," Alana said gently.  "Languages take some time to get used to.  Besides, this is the first time I've taught you something Korean right?  Before I'd just taught you Japanese."

"Yeah, well... you're better at Italian and French than I am with Korean and Japanese."

She rolled her eyes and smiled; he looked and sounded so abashed.

"Guess I'm just better at languages then," she teased, at which Gino shot her a look and smirked at her.

"Wait till I teach you the harder vocabulary, babe."

"Mm can't wait."

Just then, a waitress came by with their food.

"What did you get again?" Gino asked as Alana dug in.

"Kal guk soo."  She looked up to see his confused expression and laughed.  "Just some regular noodle soup."  She pointed at a plate of grilled short ribs.  "You should try some Galbee, it's good.  If you've ever had Korean barbecue, you'll know what it is."

Alana watched her boyfriend spoon some tofu and soup into his mouth.

"How is it?"

"It's good.  Bit too hot though."