Chapter one - a new day

Chapter one
Jonas P O V

"It's so close! C'mon!" Asher shouted. "I can't make it! I'm not gonna make it!" I shouted back. The wind and snow whipping in my face. All I heard were Asher's constant shouts and Gabriel crying from the cold.

"Jonas! I see it! We're almost there just a little further!" He shouted once more. I felt tired and all I wanted to do was lay down in the snow and go to sleep. I climbed and climbed. Even though I know it's close, it feels so far... just a little bit of sleep won't hurt right?

My surroundings turned silent as my eyes closed. Everything faded to black like it was the second act of an old movie. "Jonas" I heard vaguely. I fell back, feeling the soft snow engulfing me and Gabriel into an everlasting sleep.

I felt warm hands and my shoulders. "—s!"  Voices whispered into my ear. "—as! —-p!" They were distorted. "J—nas! W—k—-up!" They started morphing into a familiar voice.

"Jonas! Wake up!" I opened my eyes and found my sister, Lily, poking me awake. I sat up and looked around. 'I'm in my bedroom.' I thought. "Mum said get dressed like 10 minutes ago!" Lily said as she patted down her school uniform.

"Oh." I huffed silently as I sat there in bed staring out the window. "Here." She said as she passed me packaged tissues. I looked at her confusingly. "You were crying in your sleep." She said as she pointed to my face, wet with tears.

I thanked her as she put them in my hands. "Are you feeling better now?" She asked softly. I nodded. "I'm fine." She looked at me with concern. "Really? You look pale and you haven't eaten in two days. Mum is worried." She paused and sighed. "I'm worried."

I just smiled. "There's nothing to worry about Lily. Now go so i can get dressed and drop you at school." She looked at me like she didn't believe me, but despite that she left anyway. I sighed. 'I haven't eaten in two days? Didn't I eat yesterday?' 

I pulled my blanket off of me and stood up. I was feeling lightheaded at first. Maybe because I stood up to fast. 'You know that's not why.' I heard someone say. I whipped my head around my room, but I didn't see anybody.

I shrugged it off. I walked over to my dresser and picked out a white shirt and black ripped jeans. It was early spring so it was still cold. I decided to wear a purple hoodie too.

I stared at myself in the mirror and spaced out. Would things be different since it happened?

The incident

Students were gathered around in a circle as two juniors started to beat, kick and punch me.

I hated that people just stood there with their phones filming and cheering. People who wanted to help, didn't. No one did anything until they saw me slam into the ground. Blood rushing from my head, escaping my skull. Everyone was quiet. Even the bullies stopped. I spat blood from my face and stood up. Although, something felt off. Like I wasn't in control, more of something else, no— someone else was in control instead.

I cracked my jaw back into place.

"Oh. Ouch that hurt." I said in a lower taunting voice. "How are you not dead?" One of the bullies asked. "Well, Jonas is partially unresponsive. I, however, am fully responsive." I answered. "So who are you?" The other asked. "Just call me Zero. As in Patient Zero."

"And I feel like you have caused harm, to my host. Therefore, harm must be caused to you." I said as I walked closer to the taller male. "I didn't do anything!" He lied. "Oh ho! Really? Let's take a look at the footage. Shall we?" I proceeded to grab a students phone and replayed what she recorded.