Chapter 21

Yugoslavia (July 14, 2012)

Suddenly a nurse came running into the cafeteria straight to me. "You need to come with me. Daniel has gone off the wall with thoughts. He got drunk and started thinking some things about you and it angered him beyond return."

Something I'd never known about him that every one talked about was his temper. I'd seen him mad only once and for a short moment. "Do I need to pack anything?"

She nodded, "Just a change of clothes. Just do it fast okay?"

I ran to my room and changed into some skinny jeans and boots with a t-shirt. In my back pack I packed a long sleeve t-shirt and some black leggings. I packed a toothbrush and toothpaste, a hair brush and quickly grabbed a change of socks and underwear before I left out the door. Luckily I'd showered that morning and had a friend do my hair in a french braid or else I think I'd be screwed. The nurse stood outside my door looking more like an officer in the force than a doctor. 

When we arrived at the room where I'd be traveling from Mr. Giant was there. "Oh good, Tabi. I need you to stand right in there." A machine in the corner of the room, a huge machine that could fight me and Mr. Giant together and it was labelled MDXLI, or 1541, the number was irrelevant for the moment. I stood inside the machine and Mr. Giant started it up.The inside glowed.

He ran to me and started speaking, "You have a day in there with him. It's all we can give you because we are unsure of how long this can work for!" He was yelling over the machine, "We are going to transport you as close to his location as possible and thats all we can do! From there you're on your own! If he hurts you intentionally or you feel like its time to come back sooner than twenty-four hours then I want you to reference 1541 in your sentence somehow! You ready!" I nodded and he shut the door. I closed my eyes from the light.

Unknown (July 14, 2012)

I opened my eyes in the middle of the street. On the ground in front of me was broken glass and several steps away was a door to a bar called 'I'm Alive', classy for the dead. I could hear something loud going on inside the bar. Slowly I made my way to the door and when I opened it there stood Daniel. He'd thrown some guy across the room and looked pissed off. I froze in place, not knowing what to say at this moment. My heart raced at the sight of him and I wanted to cry myself but I needed to stay calm for him right now.

Then it just came out, "Daniel!" He didn't even budge. Instead he moved closer to his opponent. I ran to him, I was stronger now after training and becoming an assassin. I pulled his arm but of course when your dead you don't really change much in life, he was strong and he pushed me back a few steps. "Daniel hear my voice. It's me, I'm here Daniel stop this right now." I stood with my hands on my hips. I could physically see his spine tense.

But despite the tensing of his spine when he turned around his eyes were filling with tears, "What?" He hardly croaked out and fell to the ground in tears. "Stop messing with me." He seemed angry with himself as he held his head in his hands. 

I kneeled down and put my hands on his shoulders, "Daniel I'm here." He slowly looked up at me and some sort of realization set in. Instead of rejoicing he stood, pulling me into a tight hug, crying harder. I put my hands around his neck in hopes to soothe him.

He pulled away, pain in his eyes, "You aren't dead are you?" 

"No, of course I'm not dead Daniel. I'm visiting for about twenty-four hours. The Assassin headquarters has found a way to bring you back." I smiled.

"What? Bring me back like they did Mariah? Why would I want to be like her? You'd hate me! You'd fear me! Why would I like that!?" His eyes started to fill with rage again. I could smell the rum on his breath.

"No Daniel, please calm down. Come on lets go outside and talk." People were staring and my hold on not crying was starting to fail. I pulled him out the doors and broke into tears, "Daniel." I hardly could speak I was crying so hard. I pulled him into another embrace, holding him hard against me. "I missed you so much these past five years."

He held my hands and looked down at them. "You aren't married." Relief was in his voice.

"Of course I'm not. Freddy convinced me that in your memory I should join The Assassins and so for the past two years I've been training. I can't move on." I looked down feeling ashamed almost.

"Thanks goodness." He smiled and hugged me again, the tears gone. "God, you look just as beautiful as the day I died." He put his hands on the sides of my face and kissed me hard. When he pulled away there was question on his face, "So what about me going back?"

I saw a bench on the other side of the street and so we went over and sat down on it, "Assassin is saying that the machine to bring you back is better than hers was and the only possibility is a fifty fifty chance of some memory lose, which with help can be regained. They are saying that you should only lose the last five to seven years of your life." I held his hands in mine, in hope that he'd agree.

"What if I don't remember at all and you get too irritated to even deal with me? What then?" He seemed wary.

"Daniel, I'm not going to give up on you. You don't have to decide right away though. This is going down in a series of ten visits. I assume every few days, some longer than others. On the tenth visit if you say no and refuse then that'll be the last time you could ever see me until I die." His hands tightened around mine.

"I hate to say this but I have to think about it. I have nine more visits after this one right?" He smiled down at our hands.

"Yeah you do. And you have about a day left in this visit." I leaned against him and put my head against his shoulder. "What should we do for the rest of my visit?"

"I just want to spend time with you Tabi. Come on let's go to my house."