Chapter 16

London (January 12, 2010)

I was being shaken awake. When I opened my eyes I was back in the present day but I could still feel Mariah's sweet lips on mine and I suddenly felt queasy. I jumped up from the bed and ran into the bathroom where I threw up into the toilet. I was having the same symptoms again. I heard somebody calling my name from the door and when I looked up it was Tabi. Her lips were moving but I couldn't seem to hear anything. All I could think about was Mariah. She was my first love and my only love until now. We had been crazy for each other and when she'd died I had been a wreck. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I looked up Tabi sat next to me with her forehead resting on her hand.

"Are you alright?" I could finally hear her now. I nodded slowly and before I could say anything I threw up again.

"Go get Gerald." With that she was gone and I could hear her yelling out for Gerald. Within several minutes he was in the bathroom next to me.

"Sir, are you alright?" I could see the crease of worry in between his eyes.

"I need my medicine in the top cabinet. Close the door first, don't let Tabi see it yet." Gerald stood and closed the door and then pulled the bottle of medicine out of the cabinet. I'd known for a while that it had been getting worse, I'd stopped taking my medicine for a while because I'd thought it was at ease but It'd started coming back again. I should've known the symptoms, I'd woken with morning sickness a few times in the last few days but I'd been out on my early morning jog with Rex whenever it would happen and being just plain tired all the time I'd waved it off as just plain exhaustion but after I'd taken my medicine and checked the time on my nightstand clock I noticed it was almost two in the afternoon. I'd never slept this late in my life.

I put some boxer briefs on and laid back down in bed, "Close the curtains, it's so bright in here." I closed my eyes and Gerald closed the curtains, "Can you just bring me some coffee, put a little sugar in it too." Gerald left and seconds later Tabi walked into my room, her hair was brushed and she had on a t-shirt and underwear.

"How are you?" she looked worried as she climbed into bed next me and cuddled close.

"I'm feeling better. I just must have ate something bad yesterday." I smiled but I inside I realized I'd just lied again after promising I wouldn't.

"Really? What's really wrong?" Her eyebrows shot up and Gerald walked in with coffee for the both of us then left.

"Just immortality is all. It's nothing I haven't dealt with before." I turned on the television to watch the news for later today when we traveled home. "You need to pack since we are leaving later."

But at the same time she said, "When did it start?"

I sighed, "Eighteen ninety-one. After... after my first wife giving birth to our first child. Our baby was early into labor and didn't last but three days after my wife had died. After that my body had started trying to fight the immortality. So my friends had gotten together and created a medicine to fight back at the disease. Being immortal isn't as great as we thought it would be. It was great until you lost somebody you loved dearly and then it was almost as though a mechanism in your body started trying to fight it off and kill the immortality that froze your ageing."

"Because when you lose someone you love you then begin wishing you were dead too and then the real disease of it kicks in. Dray and my friend Phoenix got it after thirty years but Freddy didn't get it till after fifty. If you never loose anybody you love then you get the first fifty years of your immortality till it kicks in automatically. Freddy was the one who had found the medicine to stop it. He is the supplier. Last year for Christmas he sent me a box with pill bottles full of it. So I'm good for a few years maybe."

"So then who is Mariah? Is she your dead wife?" She was holding my hand. When I gave her a weird look she explained, "You were calling out to her in your sleep, that's why I was trying to wake you up."

"Yeah she is. Mariah Alexandra. Man I'd put up quite the fight for her hand." I laughed a little, "She was my first true love, she'd wanted a way out of her marriage because he didn't respect her at all and I was rich. But we ended up falling in love anyways. And I paid her father two million in cash, outbidding her former fiancé Gabriel. We lived two years happily before deciding we wanted kids, she was twenty-one now at that point and so then she was pregnant and seven and a half months later, a month and a half too early, she went into labor and died in the process. It was a rough time for me after that. Then this disease happens in the months that I feel like I'm dying already and before I know it I literally am dying." I started coughing and covered it with my hand. When I pulled my hand back there was blood on my fingers. I could taste it in my mouth too.

"We aren't leaving for several more days Daniel. We are gonna stay in London till your one hundred percent better." With that she was gone, maybe to make some phone calls, I wasn't sure all I knew was I was just really tired, so I laid my head down and was out like a light.