Chapter 13

Reality Show Lovers

Chapter 13

Monday is definitely going to be a stressful day. My schedule is currently packed with meetings, projects and more shoots. It will be unlike my usual Mondays.

I think it's safe to say that I'm not like most people when it comes to work. I was never truly committed to anything, aside from doing well in my academics and taking a few dance and photography classes. That was it. Which is why I wasn't used to my new schedule.

Niles woke me up so that I could get ready for Monday's assembly. There was nothing special about this assembly except that the first episode of "Mismatched in LA" will be debuted.

First of all, I'm not loving the name of the show. It sounds so ridiculously cheesy and not at all high-class. But I know that the public will love it anyways, so I'll just bear with it for now.

Second, I'm honestly kind of excited for today.

I see what Lucio has prepared for me to wear. Today, I wear a white cotton top, a light wash denim skater skirt and striped sneakers. As requested by my parents, my hair is in a high ponytail.

"You look so pretty today," Dad comments as I enter the kitchen.

"Thanks," I say, getting up on the high stools. "Like the hair?"

"Very much." I smile.

"Put on a little more powder and lip gloss," Mom tells me, eyeing my face. She shakes her head. "And your bruise isn't concealed properly."

"I know," I cringe, the image of my fresh bruise still plastered in my head. "Well, I really can't do much can I? I already tried everything. Two layers of make-up. And you know how much I love concealer."

She shakes her head in disapproval. "Today is the first screening of your show," she says. "Which means the attention will be on you. I can't have you looking like a working oil machine!"

I roll my eyes discretely as I start to eat my breakfast. I admire my mother's makeup skills and her genuine concern for my image, but sometimes she tends to exaggerate.

"Later, mom," I tell her. "After I eat my breakfast."

When I'm done eating, I grab my bag and hurriedly run for the door. Halfway through my escape, Mom manages to stop me.

"Wait," she says, gesturing me over. I slouch and drag my feet all the way to where she's sitting. I stand in front of her and wait as she applies more concealer on my skin. After a minute or two, she pulls back and inspects my face. "Good. Are you taking the chauffeur? Is Finn riding with you?"

I shake my head. "Don't think so. He didn't tell me anything."

"Okay, don't forget to retouch before you get out of the car," she reminds me.

I nod. "Uhuh. Bye mom." I kiss her cheek before kissing my dad's. Then I leave the house.

I think about the episode. Who knows how the crew edited the footage. I've seen so many shows where the truth changes just because of really good editing. I wonder if that's the case for my show.

My mind drifts back to Finn's party, a liberating yet nightmarish experience. One moment I'm dancing, the next I'm crouched on the floor with a bleeding head. And still don't understand how I passed out.

I haven't even talked to my friends since that night. All I know is that half of them got wasted, and that obviously resulted to a hangover.

I sense a long and awaited conversation about this when I get to school.