Chapter 7

Julie's outfit #3------->

Reality Show Lovers

Chapter 7

"Stop moving!" the make- up artist tells me.

"Sorry," I mutter apologetically. This has been going on for an hour. I've been fidgeting and moving in this chair while the hairdresser and make- up artist styles me. This position is so uncomfortable that it's practically impossible to sit straight.

"Are you excited?" the make- up artist asks me as she applies blush onto my cheeks.

I shrug. "More of nervous, actually," I say.

"Why? You just have to be yourself!" she exclaims.

"Being myself isn't exactly exciting, you know," I tell the woman.

"That's not true. Why do you think Eric and Jenkins chose you?" she asks me.

I shrug. "I really don't know."

She chuckles. "It's going to be fine. Half of the dialogue is written while the other half is all your improvisations," she tells me.

"That's the point. I really don't know what to say," I say.

She takes out a pencil and starts to line my eyes. She pauses. "Say what you would normally say."

I laugh, then I take at her name tag. "Thanks Belinda," I tell her.

"No problem," she says, then pulls back to inspect my face. "You know what's weird?" she asks.

"What?"

"You seriously are a replica of your mother."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Not at all."

She nods her head eagerly. "Yes you do!" she exclaims. "You look just like her. Except for the hair. And the way you're so humble. She was like that when I worked with her."

My mouth drops. "No way."

She laughs. "Yes way. She never bragged about herself before. But now, her success has made her more happy about the way she is. That's why she's more..."

"Grand?"

"Exactly. I think most people are like that. You start out as an underdog but once you're on top you feel more happy than you've ever been," she says, then pauses. "I remember when she was about sixteen, she was so new to the modeling industry. She used to come to set very early and would go to every go- see she possibly had," she starts to say.

"I became a close friend of hers in her first shoot. And I learned that her parents never wanted her to model. They hated it," she said, applying eye shadow on my lids.

"Grandpa Jet and grandma Molly?" I ask. 

Belinda nods with a sad look on her face. "Yes, they hated the entire idea of her becoming a model. The whole process was hard for her, considering the fact that her parents wanted her to become a doctor," she says. "That's why she takes every opportunity she gets these days."

"I thought she was just being nosy all the time," I say.

She chuckles. "Don't be so hard on her. She's just giving you the chances that her parents never gave her."

"I never thought about it that way before," I say, biting my lip. 

All this time, I thought my mother pampered me with all these clothes, gadgets and opportunities because she wanted me to become just like her. I know she wants me to succeed and I know she wants me to become something special. I just never knew that she gave me the life she never had.