Chapter 18

Nico waved back to Amy and then headed for the car. He smiled at Miroslav through the window before pulling the door open and sliding in.

"Before you do anything," Miroslav said, just as Nico was preparing to go in for a kiss. "I don't think that's a good idea." He turned briefly, his eyes barely flicking back behind them as he pretended to go through the center console of the car.

Nico twisted around and put his backpack into the backseat, glancing out the rear window as he did so. A few feet behind the car, he could see another one parked—one with two people in it, though he was going to guess they weren't related to anyone at his school.

"Can't they leave us alone?" Nico sighed, righting himself in his seat and stretching his arms up to the roof. He let out a groan as he felt it in his back. "This is getting annoying."

"This is being in your father's life," Miroslav said curtly as he started the car.

Nico frowned. "Sorry... It's not that I'm unhappy being here," he mumbled.

Miroslav sighed. "I know, sorry. I just get frustrated when these things happen, and this has lasted a while now." He combed his fingers back through his hair. "Do you still want to go see your counselor?"

"She can't disclose anything to them, right?" Nico remembered her saying something like that.

"Not unless they get a federal subpoena," Miroslav corrected him. "But I think that's only if you might be a threat to national security," he added quickly.

"That's nice to know," Nico huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'll go."

Miroslav nodded and drove them from the school to the office for Nico to make his appointment. Since his social worker had ordered it Nico didn't think he could really skip anyways. Miroslav insisted on staying out in the car, glaring in the rear view mirror after he parked.

"No getting arrested while I'm in there," Nico tried to joke, at least earning a tense smile out of Miroslav.

Nico left the car and went inside, taking off the tie of his uniform as he got to the right floor. Ashley met him just inside and they walked back to her office, shutting the door. "How was your week?" she asked.

"Fine," Nico muttered vaguely, fidgeting. He still hadn't even told her that he and Miroslav were sort of in a relationship—he didn't want her to have to report anything about Miroslav. Hell, he wasn't even sure what all she did know about him. If he talked about the police following him and Miroslav around, would that set her off?

Nico sighed and settled into the plush seat. "Something bothering you?" Ashley tried again.

"Do you know much about my dad?" Nico questioned openly.

"Your father?" she paused. "A little about what you've told me... you seem to like him well enough. I got a few notes from your social worker on him." That was where she stopped awkwardly.

"About his alleged business escapades," Nico elaborated dramatically for her.

"Something like that. Why are you bringing that up?"

So maybe she didn't know all the details, but at least he could complain. "I actually got arrested," he admitted. "Because the guy I was... before my dad tracked me down, I was living with this guy out of a train yard. He was basically my pimp." Nico frowned to himself and fixed his eyes up on the ceiling. "I really thought all of that was behind me, but he threw my name out when he got arrested not too long ago. That, and when he talked about angry Russians showing up, the police got all excited and arrested me at school for prostitution."