Chapter 6

"You look very good," Yakov commented, fixing Nico's satin purple tie.

Nico just grunted, rocking back in his stiff dress shoes. "I thought homecoming was more casual."

"Not at this school," Miroslav piped in, leaning by the door.

Miroslav wasn't happy to be driving, but Nico didn't care. Adrik drove behind them with Yakov to Amy's house, where they ended up waiting a few minutes on Amy. She finally came down the stairs though, wearing a gorgeous purple dress that hugged her body down to mid-thigh and then flared out some in folds. Small beadwork glinted on the dress and she nearly went face first down the stairs.

She brushed it off though and stood by Nico as they posed for pictures.

"Smile, smile!" Amy's mother encouraged.

Nico glared at her but forced a thin lipped smile anyways. That seemed to satisfy for pictures. Adrik drove Yakov to work from there, and Miroslav drove them to the school dance.

"You'll wait for us, right?" Nico asked. "It's over at eleven."

"Yes, I'll wait. Do you two have alcohol?" Miroslav questioned.

"Um, no?" Amy answered.

Miroslav looked pointedly at Nico. "We don't," Nico stressed honestly.

"Stay away from the punch. Call me if needed." Miroslav sat back in his seat.

Nico and Amy went in for the dance. Nico still managed to feel underdressed as they walked in. They got a few looks from the crowd but most ignored them.

They sat at a table for a long while before Amy convinced him to dance. Nico did more shifting from foot to foot than anything else, while Amy tried to spin in heels without falling over. Nico did have to catch her once and saved her from meeting the floor.

She pulled her dress back up for the tenth time and giggled awkwardly. "Sorry."

"Fine. Cookies?" Nico pointed towards the table of food.

"Okay," she agreed, and they made for something to eat.

They ended up spending a while lingering around, picking at the food and making bets. "I bet she runs out crying within half an hour," Amy said, pointing at a couple fighting.

"I bet... he falls over drunk." Nico pointed out a loner guy.

"That's not fair, that ones obvious," Amy complained. "I bet—"

"How are you two doing?" The Dean piped in from behind them.

They both turned around, acting guilty over nothing. "Fine," Amy answered with more courage than Nico had.

"Good, good. Mind if I get some punch?" he pointed behind them.

They both parted out of the way and shared a worried look. Hopefully there wasn't anything really wrong with the punch.

That was proven wrong as thirty minutes later, they watched the Dean stumble around the perimeter of the room. "Someone did something to the punch!" he complained. "Dump it out, now! And—where's Mrs. Collins? I must speak with her!"

Amy and Nico snickered as they watched him wander off. With that, they cut out of the dance thirty minutes early and sat outside. It was chilly, so Nico gave Amy the jacket off his suit. "That was interesting. I can now say I've been to a dance," Amy said proudly.

"As can I. I don't think it was worth it until the Dean tried the punch. I wonder what happens on Monday?" Nico theorized.

"I bet we get a school announcement, and some sort of school wide punishment," Amy challenged. "So do you... like anyone?" she asked off handedly.