Chapter 13

"They're launching an investigation into Mac. If he was telling the truth, he was only involved with Nico. However, it'll still stain him as a teacher," Miroslav informed, laying down some papers. "They haven't set any court dates yet, but Nico might be asked to speak. Hopefully they don't turn it around to anything about you."

"They'll blame me for giving the opportunity for it to happen," Yakov grumbled. "I thought Nico would be more responsible than that. If they take this as an unfit environment because of it—"

"We can make sure that doesn't happen. I don't want him leaving, either. Nico likes it here and wouldn't fit in anywhere else," Miroslav insisted.

"It should be easier now! Not... more difficult. Not getting the police involved, and maybe social services again." Yakov ran his hands down his face. "But you said you'll involve the counselor? That's... good. Nico's grounded."

"From what?" Miroslav held back a snort. "He only spends time with Amy, and he needs her help with school."

"I don't know! We'll figure something out." Yakov threw a pen across the room. "I'll talk to him again later. Until then... keep an eye on him."

"I don't think that's a good idea," Miroslav sighed. "We've talked about this. And after everything with Mac, it's better I maybe keep a little distance."

"But he'll listen to you," Yakov whined.

Miroslav ground his jaw. "Maybe. But I'm not so innocent, Yakov. You forget, this isn't him crushing on a straight man."

Yakov turned slightly in his chair. "But you wouldn't. I trust you."

Miroslav groaned in frustration. "That's not the point."

"Your preference has never been a problem before." Yakov shrugged like it was simple.

"That's because I haven't been in that sort of position. I've put my life into this family, and haven't bothered with seeking out partners. So you're right, it hasn't been a problem. But even if some of the other men knew, they wouldn't respect me. And if Nico knew, he would definitely try and initiate something," Miroslav stressed. "I don't want to compromise myself with him."

Yakov narrowed his eyes. "But if you don't..." His jaw tightened. "Is he causing problems for you?"

"No. I haven't let him. This is why I want to keep my distance. I don't care if he likes me, but I won't put myself in the position to reciprocate," Miroslav stated firmly.

Yakov nodded stiffly. "Nico has counseling on Thursday. Make sure he gets there."

Miroslav stood and felt his jaw drop slightly. "Did you not just hear what I said about distance?"

Yakov stood up and flattened down his suit. "I have a meeting to get to."

"Yakov," Miroslav growled. "I'm serious about this. I won't let you put me in this position, just so that you can come along later and accuse me of betraying you when something happens."

"Miroslav," Yakov sighed softly, his face tight. "I know you very well. I trust you." He put his hand on Miroslav's shoulder. "I would rather him be with someone like that."

Miroslav drew back in surprise. "Are you... are you serious? Are you insane? Is that your permission you're giving me?"

"Maybe," Yakov shrugged and glanced off. "If you think it's appropriate. I don't know much about these things anymore. And you know him at times even better than I do... so you'll know what he needs; and better than anyone else he might meet, because you know where he's come from."

"He's seventeen. We just got Mac arrested for the very same reason. I'm not stepping into that territory," Miroslav continued to protest.

"A few months then and he'll be eighteen. And if it happens before then, then..." Yakov shrugged. "I have to get to my meeting." Yakov stepped out of the room then.

"You're testing me," Miroslav followed him down the hall. "I won't do anything."

"I'll be home in two hours, after my meeting. Nico will be out of school soon, you should go pick him up."

Miroslav stopped and backed himself up against a wall. He glared at Yakov until the man was out of sight. "Fuck," Miroslav hissed to himself, knocking his head back against the wall.

***

"You're taking me to counseling today?" Nico asked in surprise as he got into the car.

"Yes." Miroslav had had Adrik pick Nico up the day before anyways, despite Yakov's suggestion. This one had been a bit more clear.

Nico buckled himself in and took the tie off of his uniform. He glanced towards Miroslav. "Are you angry at me? About Mac."

"No." Miroslav was angry with Yakov. He couldn't have been serious. Miroslav did the math—he was older than Mac. Nico was seventeen. Miroslav was thirty-two.

"You missed the turn," Nico pointed out.

"Fuck." Miroslav slapped his hand against the steering wheel and took the next turn, cutting through a neighborhood to get back on the right street.

Nico eyed him warily. "You still look pissed."

"Bad traffic," Miroslav snapped. "Fucking idiot drivers," he growled. Fucking Yakov. It was a stupid idea.

Miroslav wasn't special. Nico was just attached still with some sort of rescue complex. Obviously Nico could have anyone he wanted. It didn't have to be Miroslav.

Miroslav aggressively swung into a parking spot. "We're here," he announced tensely. "I'm going to have a cigarette out here."

"You're not walking me in?" Nico raised an eyebrow in question.

"Are you going to get kidnapped on the elevator?" Miroslav retorted, already pulling out a pack. He hadn't smoked in years because Yakov had nagged him out of it. But he'd bought a pack on the way to pick up Nico.

Nico lingered for a moment. "You know smoking will kill you."

The same thing Yakov told him. "I'm aware." He started going through his pockets for the lighter he'd just bought too.

"But I think it's kinda hot," Nico added with a shit eating grin before he ran inside.

"Shit!" Miroslav didn't even get a chance to light it. He threw it down and crushed it with his foot.