Part 19

My house comes into sight over the next hill, and his face lights up with greed. When I look at the house I feel familiarity, and a pang of loss. My parents are in there. I’m about to go in there to see them, but they won’t see or hear me. Obviously when Caleb looks at my house he see’s an opportunity for money staring him in the face, because he walks a little faster, and his fists are balled at his sides. He’s excited and determined.

            I drift up the long driveway after him, watching him ready himself mentally at the front door, smoothing his hands over the front of his shirt – whether to get rid of wrinkles or sweaty palms, I don’t know – then he reaches out and jams his finger into the buzzer. The doorbell bongs inside the house, a cheerful double chime that Mom had insisted on instead of the traditional bing bong sound. Muffled voices, footsteps on the other side. The door is yanked open, and my Dad stands there staring at Caleb. My stomach flips alarmingly when I see him.

            My father looks like he hasn’t slept in a week, even though it’s only been a few days since I last saw him. His eyes are shadowed by huge purplish circles, and he hasn’t shaved. His normally immaculate clothing is a mess, there’s a stain on the front of his dress shirt and the tails are untucked. When he sees who is standing at his door a shadow crosses his face, and he says guardedly, “Caleb.”

            A transformation comes over Caleb, another mask. He is suddenly the worried boyfriend, concerned and upset. “Hi Mr. Morgan.” He hesitates, shuffling his feet, hands in his pockets. “Look, I know you’ve never liked me…”

            There is no protest from my father, he just stands there waiting for Caleb to continue. Caleb clears his throat and rubs the back of his neck, looking nervous. “I…I’m – the police came the other day, but they didn’t tell us much. Just asked us questions. I was wondering if you guys had heard anything?” Now he looks desperate. I clench my teeth angrily. He’s acting this out too well. What if Dad buys it?

            Dad pauses. Instead of getting angry like I hoped he would, he just looks tired. He steps back from the door, allowing Caleb to come inside. “You might as well come in.”

            They sit across from each other. Mom and Dad are on the love seat, holding hands, looking strained and tired. Caleb sits in the easy chair in front of them, doing his best to look eager and concerned and all the other things a boyfriend of a missing girl is supposed to look like. “Is there any news?” He says eagerly, “I phoned the number they gave me, but they wouldn’t say anything to me. They said I’d have to ask you guys.”

Another lie. I hover behind my parents and glare daggers at Caleb, placing my hand over Mom’s shoulder. I can’t touch her, I’ll just go through, but at least I can pretend to comfort her. For me.

            Dad says wearily, “They have a lead. Apparently Bree’s credit card was used somewhere in Toronto.”

            My mouth drops open. Caleb’s eyes go wide. There’s not a hint of triumph on his face. He’s a good actor. I feel like screaming. When did he get a chance to use my credit card? I’ve been with him nearly every day, and I know Nakia would never agree to it. Something comes to me, something Caleb’s mother said to him before he left. The memory of her voice repeats in my head, “I’ll do what you asked me to. I’ll go tomorrow even. But I better not ever hear about this sort of thing again.” So that was it. His mother had flown to Toronto with the sole purpose of using my credit card to make it look as if I were alive and had run away. She really was evil.

            “So she’s…in Toronto.” Caleb grips the couch cushion next to him. “That’s great! That means she’s okay, right? What did she buy?”