My Brother Cupid Ch. 10

"Haley! Haley!" I called. She was pretending that she couldn't hear me. I didn't actually get her attention until we were in class. "Haley!"

"Um, didn't I ask you to leave me alone?" she said.

"Listen, Haley, I have something I need to show you. It's about my brother," I said.

"Huh?"

"I know you think I'm a creep. But just hear me out. There's a reason that I'm acting like this. But I have to show you. I need you to come over to my house to see it," I said.

"When?"

"After school today."

"I don't know," she said frowning in an adorable way.

"C'mon Haley, please, if you come over to my house and just see what I have to show you. I swear I'll leave you alone," I said.

"I don't know."

I just then just looked at her for a couple of seconds. I guess I should have thought of a way to convince her to come over instead of just assuming she'd give in.

"Oh, okay," she said. "But just for a few minutes."

A smile the size of Texas must have appeared on my face. Not only because I had won and now maybe she wouldn't think I was that creepy but because she, the girl of my dreams, was coming over to my house.

Haley and I walked to my house after school. I had overheard her talking to her friends about it. One of them had said, "If he creeps you out, why are you going over there?"

"You should of seen the look he gave me. He looked so . . . so helpless," she said.

That's when I interrupted her and asked her if she was ready to go.

"I guess," she said.

The whole time we were walking she didn't make eye contact or talk to me at all. I didn't attempt to get her to do either. That was until we reached my front door. When I saw the rose wreath I remembered why I never invited anyone over. My house was a doll house with only two guys living in it. I never understood it until Chase explained that it was a Venus design. Venus, in Roman mythology, is the mother of Cupid. But still, it was weird, and I didn't want my friends to see it. But maybe this time I would actually add to my story. Either that or make Haley think that I was even creepier.

I decided it was worth it. "This way," I said, leading her in not exactly knowing what to expect.

She lingered a few minutes at the door frame, "Um, is your mom home?" she asked.

"No. My mom's in Africa serving the hungry and the sick. I live with my brother," I said with a sigh.

"Really?" she asked. I could see that she doubted this story. "Then is your brother home?"

"Should be," I said. Then I yelled, "Chase! Chase!"

I wasn't sure what he was planning on doing, so I wasn't sure if I was going to see a baby with wings or a grown man. Haley was looking upstairs. It was obvious by the look on her face she didn't want to be anywhere near me. Finally he came downstairs. He eyebrows scrunched and he looked confused. He doesn't have a very good memory.

"Chase, this is Haley. Haley, Chase," I said.

"Is the girl you were talking about?" Chase asked. Haley shot me a disturbed look. Like a guy can't talk about the girl he likes.

"Yeah, this is her," I said.

"Haley, is it?" he said. She nodded. "Haley, I need to show you something that you need to know."