My Brother: Cupid Ch. 4

That next morning wasn't the greatest either. It was hard to go back to school once I knew that I was going to have to face Haley with a huge crush on her. As much as I hated to admit it, I liked her, and I didn't want her to think I was some kind of creep. I also realized that I probably wouldn't like her if it wasn't the affect of the arrow.

I slipped into my first class and sat down in the nearest desk I could find. I was here before Haley was, so it didn't matter where I sat yet. Then Haley walked in. I felt my heart race as I waved at her and yelled, "Haley!"

She looked embarrassed as her friends started to giggle. "Um, hi," she said, in her always polite way.

"You look gorgeous as always," I said.

She didn't even answer that and walked briskly to a different desk. Her friends that she had walked in, lingered a few seconds to stare at me. Then they both ran over to her snickering.

The next few days that followed seemed to have a similar pattern. I could see in her face that she hated the attention she was getting from me. Unfortunately she couldn't see that I suffering as well. Normally I only saw her once in a while, but eventually I did see her at lunch.

I walked over to her table, holding my tray in my hands. I was determined to sit with her, actually the stupid love spell was determined that I was going to sit with her.

"Can I sit here?" I asked referring to an empty chair.

"Sure," one of her friends said snickering.

Haley looked at her terrified. "Um, can I talk to you?" she asked me.

"Of course," I said putting my tray down. I followed her over by a wall.

She briskly smiled at a few passerbyers and turned to face me, a very serious expression on her face. "Look, uh, it's Tom, right?" she asked.

Close enough to satisfy me. "Actually it's Todd."

"Right," she said, "Todd. Look, I know you like me. And, well, I don't like you. Actually you kind of scare me. Look, I'm sorry. It's just . . ."

Ouch. "I understand," I said. And I did understand, it's just my dorky hormones didn't. Suddenly I felt very upset, not at Haley, this wasn't her fault, but at my idiot of brother, Chase.

She watched me for a few seconds to see if I was okay, and then went to join her friends. I followed her absent minded. She turned around obviously to tell me to stop following her. "Need my food," I said pointing.

She turned red, "Oh, right."

I grabbed my tray and wandered to my normal spot. But as I bit down on my food my mind was only on how I would get my brother back.