I would never let you fall

Keep Sammy safe.

        Keep Sammy safe.

        His father had repeated those same words over and over. Drilling them into Dean's soul until they were the last thing he heard at night.

        How could he have been so stupid.

        Sam had begged, begged, for Dean to let him go to California for college. It was the kid's dream to be a geologist.

        Dean, I can protect myself. The last words Sam had said to him before he got on that plane, and left him and kanas behind.

        Dean's mind was spiraling out of control. Who was attacking Sam? What had he gotten himself into? He raked his shaking hands threw his hair. He had to find him. Had to find Sammy.

        "BOBBY?!" Dean shouted, his voice shaking, "I'm leaving, my brother needs me. I'm sorry."

        Bobby's head poked out around the corner of his office, "What? What's happened?"

        Dean couldn't breathe, "I gotta go," he ran to his small bedroom in the back of the shop, "My brother, Sam is in trouble," he was yanking all of his clothes out of his drawers, despretely shoving anything he could grab into a tattered duffle bag.

        "No, no, just calm down, Dean! Tell me what's wrong!" Bobby grabbed Dean's arm as he was shoving past him.
        "NO, I WILL NOT CALM DOWN. All I know is that my brother's in trouble and I NEED TO SAVE HIM." Dean yanked away from the older man, grabbing his keys off the shelf.

        Gotta find Sammy. He threw the duffle into the Impala's trunk

        Gotta find Sammy. He landed in the driver's seat.

        I'm coming, Sammy. The engine flared up, and Dean pressed the gas pedel to the floor.

                                                                        * * * * *

          The car couldn't seem to go fast enough. With every second that passed, Dean's anxiety grew stronger. He remembered back to the good times, before his dad lost it, before his mother died. Back when things were simple.

        14 year old Dean watched as his brother assessed the red bike.

        "What if I fall?" his younger brother glanced up at him. Dean knew the look in his eyes well. It was how he looked when he thought there were monsters under his bed.

        "You're not gonna fall," Dean ruffled his brother's hair, "I'm you're big brother and I'll keep you safe."

        "You promise?" Sam looked back at the bike.

        "Hell yeah, I would never let you fall," Dean stated, "and don't tell dad I swore."

        "Okay." the small boy gave Dean a weak smile, "I'm ready."

        "I'm sorry. You're ready to what?" Dean held his hand up to his ear.

        "I'm ready to rock and roll!" Sammy's eyes shone.

        Dean gripped the wheel tighter.

                                                                                * * * * *

         It was a maddening silence. Dean felt like he should be planning or cursing or screaming. But he just kept driving, waiting for Colorado.

        Dean strained to distract himself with the open landscape, but it was useless. The sickening feeling or finding Sammy hurt- or worse- stuck in the back of his tired mind like a stubborn piece of gum.

        He switched on the radio. "Heat of the Moment" played out of the worn speakers.

        Gotta find Sammy.

        He started stomping his foot along with the music.

        Gotta find Sammy.

        A cry ripped out of Dean's throat.

        No one heard except the open road.