The Pistol in Dean's Pants

It was 1:30 AM when the impala pulled into the parking lot of a "Days In". He didn't know about Cas, but Dean needed his 4 hours. The two men checked into their rooms and shared an awkward goodnight.

        "Now, we have to be on the road by 4."

        "Alright, Dean."

        "If you aren't awake I'm leaving without you-"

        "I got it, Dean!"

        "Ok, right, see you tomorrow."

        "Good night, Dean."

                                                                                * * * * *

        How is it possible for the moon to shine that brightly?! Dean gritted his teeth as he rolled and readjusted himself on the stiff motel bed.

        "Hmrp." he sat up, mind racing with questions for Cas and plans on finding Sammy. He needed some air.

        Dean slipped on his boots and searched for the stairwell. He followed the stairs all the way to a single door. The doorknob stuck, so he had to shove it open before he stepped out onto the roof.

        The gravel top roof was vacant except for a single figure sitting off the edge. Dean quickly froze, ready to go back out the way he came when the head swiveled to look at him.        

        "Hello Dean," Cas greeted him, "wanna sit with me?"

        Dean sighed, "Okay," he pointed a finger at the other man, "but this isn't a 'talk about our feelings under the stars' kind of thing. I said no chick flick moments." he swung his legs over the edge of the motel to sit next to Cas.

        "Don't worry, I don't have any plans of ruining your pristine masculinity." Cas shifted his hair and Dean's heart skipped a beat, "So you couldn't sleep either?"

        "Yeah, worried about Sammy, I guess." Dean shrugged, "Why couldn't you sleep?"

        "I don't really sleep." Cas said, throwing a rock of the roof.

        "Is this the part where you tell me you're a vampire and I have to kill you with the pistol I have hidden in my pants?"

        "You have a pistol in your pants?" Cas wiggled his eyebrows, "I would like to see that." his voice dripping with amusement.

        Dean shoved him, hard. "I am not kidding about leaving you on the side of the road."

        "I love it when you get all angry." Cas' mouth was now twitching, holding in the laughter behind a fragile, and frankly crappy, metaphoric dam. All Dean had to do was look at him before the dam broke and Cas was hunched over laughing at his own joke. When he didn't stop laughing, Dean began to feel a tug on his own mouth.

        "C'mon, Cas, you can't laugh at your own joke!" he smiled incredulously at the other man. That only made him laugh harder, and soon, Dean was laughing too.

        For a moment, his brother wasn't waiting for him 700 miles away.

        For a second, he didn't have to be the big brother and do the job.

        For a minute, he was happy.

        But a minute is fleeting.