Hush

"We've only got each other."

"Well isn't that enough?"

"Yes."

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Get off the computer Ana!" My mother's voice echoed from down the stairs.

I logged off of Tumblr and closed my laptop.

"Wait mother!"

"Dinner is ready! Stop fangirling and eat!" Lizzie, my sister's whiny voice screamed.

I jogged down the stairs and took a seat at the dinner table. "Where's Logan?" I asked, speaking of the whereabouts of my older brother.

"He's with Josh." My father said, disgust in his voice.

The reason for my dad not liking Josh is because, basically, he's black. My Dad's white, and my mom's Asian, but they're both racist. Josh doesn't come around the house very often.

"Josh's a cool dude. He taught me how to tie my shoes." Lizzie cheesed. Liz isn't like my parents, at all. She's a 3 year old fun cake. Always hyper, and always smiling. And she always made my parents smile. Unless she was talking about Josh.

But since my dad didn't have the heart to yell at her, he only said, "He's too old for you." And moved on,

Lizzie giggled and started twirling her spaghetti in her fork.

"She's right dad. Remember, I showed Josh around when he first came to Jefferson High." I said, still on the topic.

"You said he was going blind." my mom said in her Filipino accent.

"He was. They put special eyedrops in his eyes, and it prevents him from going completely blind," I explained.

My dad scoffed. "He should be happy about going blind. He would be like that singer, what's his name? Charlie Ray!"

"Who the heck is Charlie Ray? I think you mean Ray Charles." I said.

"Who gives a damn?! Can we stop talking about that nigger?!" my dad shouted.

"Racist." I muttered.

That ended all discussion at the dinner table, for a long time.

After eating, my dad immediately went up the stairs in frustration, and my mom followed closely behind him, shutting their bedroom door.

"I guess it's just you and me." I shrugged, talking to Lizzie.

"Daddy's mean. Josh isn't a nigger. He;s nice." my little sister whispered, shocking me with her word choice.

"Do you know what that word means?" I asked.

She nodded her head slowly. "It's what people call colored people, because the other people think they're better than the colored people. It's a racist term."

"Who told you this?"

"Logan."

I tried to understand the reasoning of why my brother explained this to a three year old girl. Maybe dad had said it before. I didn't know,

"It's late Liz. We should get to bed." I said, taking her hand and leading her up the stairs to her own room. I tucked her in her bed, and kissed her forehead. "Night."

"Night Juliana. Love you." She said closing her eyes.

Lizzie refused to calm me Ana. She said it wasn't my birth name, so she wouldn't call me it. She got that from my mother, who refuses to call me it too.

I heard the front door open and close, so I ran down the stairs only to see my brother getting home at nine at night.

"Why are you home so late?" I asked him.

He smiled. "That's the first thing I hear when I get home? No 'hi' or 'missed you'?"

I went up to him and hugged him. "Hi Logan."

He gave me a one-armed hug. "Hey Ana. I was out with Josh."

"Doing what?" 

"So curious." Logan chuckled. "We were at Giovanni's Diner." 

"What's that?"

"A place where all different types of people come to eat and dance, and they aren't judged. It's run by a black and white family." Logan explained.

My eyes lit up. "Really? There aren't that many people like that in Lousiana. It's mostly just... seperated."

"Yeah. Josh showed me it. We'll have to take you there one day."

"I don't think dad will like that." I whispered in a voice barely audible.

He sighed. "More racist slurs from dad?"

"Yeah. And this time at the dinner table. In front of Lizzie."

"I'm not surprised. He's gotten to his breaking point, but he has to realize that this isn't the old days anymore, and African Americans have feeling too." Logan looked at me. "You have to get to bed. School's in the morning."

 "I'm 16. I don't have a bedtime. " I argued.

"Well I'm 18, so I get to tell you what to do."

"Blehhhh!" I stomped up the stairs.

"You're gonna wake up everybody in this house Ana!"

"Sorry." I muttered, slamming my bedroom door. Don't get it twisted, I love my brother, but I love being right too. 

I took out my laptop went on Tumblr once again. Instantly, a picture of Nicki Minaj popped up on my dashboard. I reblogged it and scrolled down some more. I saw Josh reblog a picture of a Bulls snapback.

I laughed to myself. My parents had no idea of my life on the internet.

They had no idea of my life, period.

No idea of the drinking and partying and smoking.

Well, neither did I.

Until the extreme happened that made me realize the horror of the shit I just did with the people I cared nothing about.

I closed my laptop and lay down on my bed.

Never did I speak of the awful things I commited.

Not until now,

Things shall never stay hushed.

______________________________________________________________

A/N YAY! New story time! I would like to thank Mr. Josh Lewis for letting me use him in this story! Follow his Tumblr - mrdontgiveafuck.tumblr.com

I also wanna warn you guys again, racial slurs will be in this book, along with some other bad stuff (hint why it's PG-13). NO PORN THOUGH. And um, catch me on Tumblr, reblogging random shit - diamondkissesswagg.tumblr.com

FAN

VOTE

COMMENT

PROMOTE