Chapter 9: The Anatonia

"Hello, good morning." Franco called Quinn. Quinn turned on the speaker and let Sergei listen. He's been moping since yesterday, letting his own mind beat him emotionally. Quinn thought it's good that he stop that. Somebody else should beat him emotionally for a change. "Tell Sergei, Marcus is getting married. This just in yesterday, caused by Auntie Ysabel."

"Really? Cool story, bro." Quinn answered. "What she's like."

"Successful Chinese doctor, she's an Autorhinolaryngologist."

"Shocks, tough competition, Right, Sergei?" Quinn snickered.

Sergei grumpily took the phone. "Tell him congratulations. But Anatonia is mine."

"Hello Sergei. Marcus said you'd have to appeal to court to get Anatonia's custody." Franco stated.

"Fuck that!" Sergei returned the phone to Quinn and furiously jogged to the toilet for a bath. He better prepare his old formal wear. They're appealing to court now, huh? Then fine! So be it!

"Uh oh." Quinn spoke to the phone again. "Mr. Aleksejev is ready for court proceedings. Tell the other Mr. Aleksejev he better get a good lawyer because I know a good lawyer in this side of California."

"Quinn? O my god, what are you planning, you little bitch? Why are you so adamant to split them up?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. By the way, Dr. Hannah Chen sounds lovely."

"Wait? I never told you her name! How come – "

Quinn put down the phone. Alone in the living room and alone with his mind, he smirked.

*

The courtroom only consisted of the judge, a lawyer from Franco's firm, a lawyer from Quinn's private attorney's firm, some court marshals, some witnesses, the court reporter, the judge, and the couple.

Franco is at Marcus' side, while Quinn is at Sergei's side.

Sergei was a bit thankful that there is no jury duty for divorce proceedings in California, but he's still fidgeting with the familiar atmosphere of a courtroom. God, the polished wooden furniture are suffocating. He hated them because they were the only things he saw when he was sitting beside his mother. He was 7, but it felt like yesterday.

Marcus hated it. He hated that it has to come down to an appeal. Sergei should have just given him the third bro. He cocked his head to look at the other side of the court where Sergei was seated, and there he saw a man of sick and pale complexion. Is Sergei sick?

Oh no. He remembered Sergei saying something about hating courtrooms.

Quinn saw Marcus staring, so he touched Sergei's shoulder and patted him soothingly. "It's okay bro. I know you're scared of courtrooms, but this will be quick."

It should be him doing that.

"Your honor!" Marcus stood. His lawyer pulled his arm, murmuring that he should sit down.

"What is it, gentleman?" The Judge acknowledged.

"Um, can we postpone the appeal for today? I think my friend, my husband... is sick." It was weird calling him husband, but he's just using the legal term the judge is familiar of. On the other hand, it felt bittersweet.

The female judge looked at Sergei's side. "Are you sick, Mr. Aleksejev?"

"No, your honor. I'm okay." Sergei denied.

"You do look sick." The judge pointed.

Sergei took a deep breath. They must finish today. Another schedule in this god-forsaken hell hole is torture. "No your honor. I'm hoping we can finish today."