Chapter 8: The Loveseat

Marcus came over that day, around 2:00 pm, with an intention to gather his belongings. His arrival alerted Sergei, who was washing the dishes, and Quinn, who woke up from a headache. Franco was on the dining table listing out the assets for the divorce.

"Are you here to get your things? I already put them in a bag. You don't have to stay longer." Sergei welcomed without looking up from the dishes. He suddenly found an interest in repeatedly wiping one specific glass with a dry cloth.

Marcus smiled, trying to lighten the gravity of Sergei's statement. "Yes, actually. Thank you for doing that."

But Marcus is not liking the atmosphere. Sergei looks pissed, and he never saw him that pissed before. "Oi, bro, come on. You don't have to be pissed. I'm just settling things so I could transfer my Mitsubishi in my Auntie's garage, then we'll go back to normal. I just need to put my work tools there so I could have..."

"Go back to normal? You still have a plan to live here?" Sergei blurted, quite rudely.

"Excuse me? I cannot?" Marcus shouted back. His eyebrows furrowed, his chest hurting, but his pride and right trampled. He will fight. Just like the delinquent days. "So that's what you are, huh? You will legally have this property so you want me out of the scene?"

"Well, maybe! You're the one who wants out of the scene." Sergei replied loudly.

Franco stood in between them, papers neatly tuck under a folder. "Hey guys, if you're not talking properly I will not let you sign these papers."

"Shut up, Franco!" Sergei shrieked. "You meddler! If we want out, we want out!"

"Yeah Franco!" Marcus said, ready to attack the man behind the paralegal. "It's our life okay, stop being concerned and just leave the divorce papers there."

"You don't understand guys!" said Franco. "I don't know what you guys are thinking but you're just misunderstanding each other. Let's talk about this calmly! I know you guys, you wouldn't really-"

"Shut up!" The two said simultaneously.

"You're always meddling in people's lives as if you're a messiah. YOU. DON'T. KNOW. EVERYTHING! SO JUST SHUT UP!" That was Marcus, who has been friends with the paralegal for 5 years. They met in the hospital when he drank champagne with glass shards and they became friends since then. Though they are, Franco had only seen Sergei two times and they are not particularly close. Franco is not even Marcus' close friend. He's just an acquaintance. He's just a paralegal who can't even become a lawyer.

Franco just sits in his office all day, organizing and researching legal documents to help the lawyers with their cases. Sometimes, he suggests how a case should be handled, and because he's dealing with Harvard graduates who passed the Bar, they would shut him down saying "Shut up, Franco. You know nothing."

Franco is used to that, nonetheless, he wants to help. He likes fixing things, he likes assisting the lawyers and their clients for a more efficient hearing. Is that bad? Maybe he's really meddling too much.

Maybe, he's not really needed.

Sergei and Marcus just need to talk. They just need to organize their thoughts. They just need to list down the things they want to happen, find a common denominator and then compromise. Isn't that easy?

But it seems, his services won't be needed here. Maybe Marcus and Sergei would have their own approach.

"Franco." Quinn called softly. "Let's go outside."

"But..." But what? What would Franco say?

Quinn glared between the two fighting men. "Let's leave these assholes."