xxiv. All That's Good

"Good morning, Erik," Nadir smiled. "How's Charlotte?"

"She's alright. Quite uncomfortable and in a bit of pain, but as long as she has the baby, she'll be just fine," Erik replied.

"That's to be expected," Nadir nodded. "I take it you want her to have breakfast in bed."

"I do, yes. Just to get her to stay in one place and let her body heal," Erik said with a smile.

"Have fun with that," Nadir chuckled. "The girl broke her wrist, sprained her ankle, and got scarlet fever all in the same week, and I still couldn't get her to rest."

Erik shook his head fondly. "I'll work on it," he said with a smirk.

"Well, let's hope it works. She's good about resting if she feels like she needs it, so perhaps she'll stay in bed."

"I hope so. She needs her rest."

"Yes, she does," Nadir nodded, handing his friend a plate of crépes. "I'm surprised you wanted to be in there while she had the baby."

"She needed me. She practically begged me not to leave," Erik said with a sigh.

"I don't blame you. I wouldn't have left even if the midwife tried to make me," Nadir chuckled. "That was probably the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced."

"Yes, it's incredible. Difficult to watch, but still amazing in its way," Erik replied with a nod.

"I agree, and I'm sure she did wonderful," Nadir said with a smile before chuckling slightly. "Poor Gustave didn't leave the corner the entire time."

"She did very well, yes. And I feel bad about Gustave. I should have had you take him out for awhile."

"Well, he'll have to get used to it if he plans to get married in the future."

Erik chuckled. "He will, yes. He might be a husband that leaves the room, I think. Not because he wants to, but because he might faint if he doesn't."

"I guess only time will tell," Nadir replied with a laugh.

"I suppose so. I'll go take Charlotte her breakfast. Do you want to join me? You've yet to meet the little one," Erik said.

"Of course," Nadir smiled, handing him a tray. "After you."

Erik nodded and walked upstairs, pushing the door to the bedroom open a crack. "Hello, love," he said, smiling at Charlotte as she woke up. "How are you?"

"Tired," Charlotte sighed. "But a bit better than I felt yesterday."

"Good. I brought your breakfast up, and I have Nadir with me if you're alright to see him," Erik replied with a small smile.

"Of course," Charlotte nodded, kissing his cheek. "I could have just gone downstairs, you know."

"No, I wanted you to stay here. You're tired and your body needs time to heal. Less activity and sleeping will speed it up," Erik replied. Leaving the tray on her lap, he stepped out for a moment, returning with Nadir by his side. "Here's your Papa, Charlotte."

"Hello," she said softly. "Angelina's asleep in the bassinet, but you can hold her if you'd like."

"Angelina's her name?" Nadir asked as he walked over to the bassinet and looked at the baby. "Oh, she's beautiful. Congratulations to the both of you."

"Thank you," Charlotte smiled. "She just loves Erik."

"Does she?" Nadir asked as he slowly lifted Angelina into his arms. "I'm sure you're pleased about that, Erik."