xxxii. Forgive Me

"Papa?" Charlotte asked softly, knocking on Nadir's bedroom door. "Papa, are you awake?"

"Just about, yes," Nadir said as he opened the door, smiling at her. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Charlotte smiled. "Get back in bed. I brought you breakfast."

"Oh, you didn't have to do that. I was going to be downstairs shortly," he replied.

"I know, but I wanted to do something nice, so get back in bed," Charlotte laughed. "Come on."

"Alright, alright," Nadir said, shaking his head fondly as he walked back to his bed and sat down. "Thank you, Charlotte."

"You're welcome," Charlotte smiled. "How do you feel?"

"I'm alright. Better than last night."

"Good," Charlotte nodded, setting a tray on his lap. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Not particularly, darling. It's not easy to heal a broken heart," Nadir said with a small smile.

"I know, Papa, but if there's anything I can do, I want to know."

"I will let you know if there is something you can do," Nadir replied. "I know you want to help, and I will let you. For now, this breakfast is wonderful."

"Thank you," Charlotte smiled, kissing his cheek. "Let me know when you finish. Angelina's been wanting to see you."

"I'll make my way down when I'm done. I want to see my granddaughter as well."

"Wonderful. She'll be happy," Charlotte nodded. "Well, I'll let you eat in peace."

"Thank you. I'll see you shortly," Nadir replied

"You're welcome." Charlotte sent home a smile before returning downstairs to eat breakfast with her family.

"Hi Mama," Angelina said as her mother walked into the room.

"Hello, darling," Erik said, getting out of his seat to give Charlotte a kiss. "Did Nadir appreciate the surprise?"

"Yes, he did," Charlotte smiled. "He said that he'll come down when he finishes."

"Good. Someone has been asking for Grandpa all morning," Erik said, smiling at his daughter.

"I want to see him too," Gustave said with a small frown.

"I know," Charlotte chuckled, sitting beside the boy and wrapping an arm around him. "How are your eggs?"

"Good. Thank you, Mother," he replied as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"You're very welcome, my dear. What do you have planned for the day?"

"Papa was going to help me with my homework a little, and then he's going to teach me piano a bit more," Gustave replied. "But James said I can go to his house for dinner tonight. Can I, Papa?"

"I don't mind," Erik said with a small shrug, sipping his coffee. "It's up to Charlotte."

Gustave looked at Charlotte with a grin. "Can I?" he asked again.

"I see no problem with it," Charlotte smiled. "Go ahead."

"Thank you," Gustave said as he took another bite of his breakfast.

"What about you, Charlotte? Any plans for today?" Erik asked. "Because I'll be helping Gustave and I have a bit of work to do as well, so you have a day to yourself and Angelina."

"I don't know what I'll do. I'm not used to having free time," Charlotte shrugged. "Maybe I'll go spend way too much money on baby clothes."

"That sounds like a good idea," Erik replied with a chuckle. "We can never have enough baby clothes, can we?"