Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"No."

"Nope."

"Nada."

"For Christ's sake, you have to pick out something. I mean, you can't go dressed like that." Riley gestures to my current outfit, which consists jeans and gray t-shirt along with white converse.

"Hey, you said that my outfit was cute." I don't want make-up caked on my face and then wear a slutty dress to some party I don't even want to go to. I have some dignity left in me.

"I know. It is, but not for a party. Come on. At least try on this one." She hands me a royal-blue dress, that isn't to short and isn't definitely too slutty.

I put on the dress and I look at myself in the mirror. Not bad, I think to myself. I give a little spin. I think I actually like this one.

"Now, a little make-up." Riley applies a little make-up on my face, knowing I will kill her if she cakes it on. "There." She hands me a mirror and I look to see a totally different person. I have never worn make-up before. My mom bought me some, but I never had the time, nor did I want to actually practice putting on make-up. It just takes up too much of my time and the idea of me having a spikey brush near my eye freaks the hell out of me. Plus the right guy for me shouldn't like me when I'm only wearing make-up. Riley hands me a simple heart-shaped necklace. I place it around my neck and take another look in the mirror.

"Wow. I...I look..." I can't even put what I look like into words.

"Hot. You look hot. I picked that dress because I knew it would show your good figure." Riley just shrugs and starts putting on her own make-up.

Even though I feel arrogant about it, I can't help but stare at myself through the mirror. Riley turns to smile at me. "If you're done gawking at yourself, we have a party to attend to." Riley grabs her keys and walks out her bedroom door. I'm obviously not ready for this.

Shit.

In the car, I close my eyes, bracing and preparing myself for a night of horror.

I hear the music before we arrive. I open my eyes to a giant house with cars stacked up the street. Riley finds a vacant spot and parks.

She steps out of the car and waits outside my door, tapping her heel.

"Are you going to get out of the car or do I have to make a big scene and grab you by your ankles and pull you out?" She says with a fake smile on her face.

I open the door and get out. I can already feel my heart beat against my chest, thumping and echoing in my ears. While shaking my head, we start up towards the house.

The music is deafening.

I don't think I have ever been in a louder room in my entire life.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

There are so many people crammed into one room. I'm stumbling to just keep walking. Riley goes off somewhere, maybe to grab a beer. She better not bring me one. I get shoved into a different hallway. I have never been to this house before, so, of course I'm lost. I don't see anyone that I know either. Damn it, Riley.

I move over to a corner, where no one else is, to catch my breath. There must be a smoke machine or something because the room is cloudy and everything is hard to see. And it doesn't help that there are strobe lights blazing everywhere.

I turn my head to look for Riley, but I don't see her. Instead, I see a guy, clearly wasted, stumbling over to me.

"Hey, babe. Want to dance?" The drunken guy asks, scratch that, screams over the music.