Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I spit my water at the window, in shock. I can't believe that Travis is my neighbor.

"ARGH. You did not just spit water on my new window! Argh!" Mom stomps away, and comes back with cleaning supplies. "Don't just stare at it. Clean it up!" She shoves the cleaning supplies bucket into my hands and continues to glare at me.

I look at Dad and see that he's using every bit of energy trying not to laugh. "You even utter a sound, mister, and you'll be sleeping on the couch tonight," Mom glares at Dad. Dad slowly backs away, hands up. He's received his warning and understands.

I shake my head. Maybe I just hallucinated. My Travis tolerance level is completely full so maybe I'm just overwhelmed at the moment. I look outside again and still see Travis. I groan to myself, lean forward and bang my head on the window.

"Now you're getting face prints on the window! I'm just going to leave before I strangle you, but when I come back, that window better be spotless." Mom turns and walks to my parent's bedroom.

I turn back to the window and squirt the cleaning product on the window. I wipe the glass then turn to pick up another rag. I turn back to the window and see Travis crossing his yard shaking his head. I continue to clean when I hear the doorbell ring.

"Ethan! Get the door!"

I hear Ethan open the door. "Who are you?" Ethan asks whoever is at the door. God, my brother is rude.

"I'm a friend of your sister," a familiar voice says. No, no, no. Not my in house. Not where I live. Travis is like a bad cold that just keeps coming back. Over, and over, and over again.

"Friend or boyfriend?" Ethan asks. I can feeling the smirk on my brother's face from here.

I drop the cleaning rag and run to the door. "Travis is not my boyfriend. Actually, he's not really my friend either. He's just someone I owe a favor to." I shove Ethan towards the stairs, hoping he'll take the hint. I turn back to Travis. "What do you want?"

He smirks and shakes his head. Jeez, this guy shakes his head too much. I wonder if how many brain cells he's losing. "I just wanted to meet my new neighbors. Since, you know I'm new to the neighborhood and I need to make friends." He leans on the door-frame, staring at me.

"Hi, now bye." I start to close the door when he puts his foot in the way, stopping me from closing the door. I roll my eyes and reopen it.

"Now since you mention it, you do owe me from letting you stay at my place," he says with a devilish look in his eyes.

I roll my eyes, again. "What do you want?" I ask. I'm kind of scared he's going to ask me to do something embarrassing or worse, sexual.

"How about this? I'll drive you to and from school and we can talk about it tomorrow." He turns to leave and starts walking back toward his house.

"Will you at least tell me what it's about?"

"Nope," he answers me without turning around. He reaches his house and turns away once, smiles at me, then shuts his door.

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

"Why hello. And who might you be?" My mom asks with a flirty voice. Can't Mom flirt with the mailman later?

"My name's Travis ma'am. It's nice to meet you."

I sit up so fast I see stars. I grab my head in attempt to ease the dizziness away from my head. Did I really just hear Travis Greene talking to my mother in my house? I throw the covers to the side and dash down stair and sure enough, there he is in his full glory.

Mom looks absolutely smitten, and Travis is grinning like he just won the lottery. He notices my presence and looks at me with amusement in his eyes. "Nice pajamas," he says to me. I blush bright red when I realize that I'm wearing short shorts and thin tank top with no bra underneath. In my haste to get down stairs, I must've forgotten to change. "I would start to get ready for school, if I were you. Don't want to be late." This just makes my mom gush even more. He has her wrapped around his finger. Travis must realize this because he smirks at me with a knowing look. I roll my eyes and retreat back to my room.

I take another shower and get dressed in my normal attire, which consists of jeans, t-shirt, and a pair of converse. I prance down stairs and kiss my mom bye and walk out the door without waiting for Travis.

"Please excuse my rude daughter. It's good to know that such a nice boy is in her life. Apparently, she needs the good influence, maybe that will teach her manners," I hear my mom say. Travis a good influence? Right and McDonald's is good for you.

I hear Travis laugh. "It was nice to meet you ma'am," Travis says before joining me outside. "Ready to go?" I huff and walk towards his car. He unlocks it and we both get in.

"Your mom seems nice," Travis says to me.

"She's always nice to young attractive men," I say without thinking. Great, now his ego is going to be even bigger.

"Did you just call me a man?" We're at a stop light, so Travis turns and looks at me.

"Yeah. What's the problem with me calling you a man?" I wasn't expecting him to focus on me calling him that. I thought he was going to tease me for saying he's attractive.

"No, it's just no one has ever called me that before." I look over at him as we pull into the school parking lot. "Okay, we're here." Travis stops the car, turns it off, and steps out. As soon as we're both out, he locks it. "I guess I'll see you later." Travis quickly turns and heads into the school.

What the heck just happened?

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

I haven't seen Travis all day, or at least, not after our strange exchange this morning. I still can't wrap my head around why he would freak out after me calling him a man.

Riley must sense my unease because she asks me if I'm okay for the fifth time today. "Yes, yes. I'm okay. I'm just thinking," I tell her, also for the fifth time.

"Ooh, thinking about Travis, aren't ya? Travis and Ally sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G - ."

"Will you stop?! Someone might hear you!" I swear, if one person hears, by lunch everyone will be talking about how Ally Spencer is in love with Travis Greene, and no one will care that it's not even true.

"Don't try to hide your love, Ally. Sooner or later, you will have to acknowledge the passion you have."

"Okay, fine. The day I admit I have feelings for Travis, hell will freeze over and pigs will fly. Riley, just face it. You're going to lose the bet and I will never fall for that jerk face. Sorry, but that's just the way it's going to be."

"Wow Ally, I never thought you could be this negative. Besides, are you a fortune teller? No, you're not, so you have no idea what the future holds. Now lets go eat lunch." Riley takes a hold of my arm and leads the way to the lunch room.