Chapter 36

Harry's POV

My hopes that sleep would relieve the aching in my chest were crushed when I woke up feeling the same. I was sweating and my heart was still racing. I sat up in the bed and ran a hand through my hair, pushing it back from my damp forehead. Squinting, I glanced at the clock beside my bed.

6:00am.

I stood up and lazily threw on a new tee shirt before making the split second decision to get out of the house. I didn't know where I was going, just that I couldn't stay here.

I was overwhelmed with God knows what. I didn't want to be forced into anything by my mum. I didn't want to have these contradicting feelings toward Bethany. I didn't want to carry this lifeless shell that was my body anymore.

That old, empty feeling had returned stronger than ever. I don't think it every really left, but it had numbed down a bit for a while, and now it was back and smacking me right in the face. I knew I couldn't handle it once again.

Bethany's POV

Around 7:30 am I was woken up by my phone ringing. Although I shouldn't have, I desperately hoped it was Harry.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice sounding hoarse and groggy. I hadn't even checked the caller ID because I was in such a hurry to hear from him. I rubbed my eyes exhaustedly.

"Beth, it's Zayn. Are you with Harry?"

Ok, not what I had expected.

"No, why?" The tone in Zayn's voice worried me and I shot out of bed quickly, pacing the floor.

"Shit. I came over this morning, and he's not here. There's no note. He's not at Andrew's or Niall's." I inferred that Andrew was one of his friends or something. Before freaking out, I took a moment to think. Where would he have gone? After the state he was in last night, I knew he shouldn't have been alone.

"Did anything happen recently?" Zayn asked anxiously.

I sighed. "I was over there yesterday, watching a movie. He told me he'd been drinking all day. He was drinking really early in the morning, and then drank over half a bottle of vodka later in the day. And he fell asleep during the movie and had like a nightmare or something, and the yelled at me and told me to leave." I explained in one breath.

"Do you want to come with me to look for him?"

"Yeah." I agreed too quickly.

Zayn hung up before agreeing to pick me up soon. Hurriedly, I changed my clothes and threw my hair back as fast as I could before going downstairs. My mom was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the paper.

"Hey mom, is it okay if I go out for breakfast with Harry and Zayn?" I lied.

"Yeah sure." She was lenient when it came to me hanging out with my friends, probably because she enjoyed the fact that I finally did. "They're such nice boys. When will you be home?"

"I'm not sure, I'll text you. Thanks. Zayn's on his way already so I'm going to go wait in the living room." I told her and exited the room with the fakest smile. Within a few minutes Zayn showed up. I got into his car and he began to drive.

"Where are we going to check?" I asked.

I could tell by his expression that he was extremely worried. "I don't know. Any suggestions?"

I thought for a moment. He couldn't have gone to a bar, he wasn't 21 yet, and he wasn't at a friend's house, Zayn had already narrowed it down that much.

"What if he just went to visit his parents or something?"

Zayn laughed off my thought. "He'd never."