Chapter 23

Bethany's POV

The next afternoon, I decided to go look at some cars since I had nothing better to do.

"Mom!" I called as I entered her office. She was a freelance editor, and I had always found her work so interesting. She took the things people wanted to say, but made them sound more smooth and profound. Hearing about how much she loved her job was what made me decide to go into editing as well, along with my love of literature.

Honestly, I'd love to be an artist. Having my own studio, painting as I wished, and selling my work to galleries would make my life a dream come true. But, let's be realistic. I would make no money, and there's no way I'd even be able to survive just by doing that. So, editing was my next best option.

"Yes?" my mother answered as she turned around in the computer chair.

"Can I use your car for the day? I want to go look at cars."

I'd saved money for years to get my own car. Most of my birthday money went straight into the bank, and I had a few jobs the past few years where I somehow managed to collect enough money for a decent, used car.

"I'd rather you not. I have to go meet a client this afternoon."

"Alright." I huffed and left the room.

Now what was I supposed to do? I sat down on the couch and turned on my phone. When it finally turned on, it lit up and notified me that I had a text message from Niall.

"Hey, sorry about last night."

"No it's fine. What's up?" I sent back.

"Bored as hell haha. You?"

"Same here. I was supposed to go look at cars, but my mom has stuff to do, so I can't use her car :/."

"I can take you if you want. I've got nothing else to do today :)"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's no big deal."

"Thanks so much!"

"Pick you up in an hour?"

"Okay :)"

I was so glad to have a friend like Niall. It was so nice of him to be willing to take me to look at cars. I told my mom my plans, and she agreed.

While I waited, I browsed through the car lot's website. I couldn't really choose a car based off of it's picture online, but I picked out a few that I thought would be nice. The time passed rather quickly and before I knew it, I heard Niall's horn beeping outside.

"Hey!" I greeted him as I stepped into the car. He was wearing jeans and a plain white shirt. His blonde hair was sticking out of the sides of his hat.

"Where are we headed?" he asked.

I gave him directions to the lot I wanted to check first and he drove. When we arrived, we were greeted by a short, nasally-voiced salesman. His suit was faded, and his dark "hair" was clearly hair plugs. He showed me a few of the options in my price range, but all of them seemed like they wouldn't last very long. After an hour, we thanked him and went to another lot not so far away.

At the next lot, the salesman was a bit more professional, but none of the cars were nice at all. I know that on a small budget, I shouldn't be picky, but literally every one would definitely cost me more money in the long run.

We checked one more lot further out of town and one of the cars was decent, but I didn't want to jump on the decision. I decided I would look some more over the week to narrow down the options.