nineteen

Billie and Alex rocked up to the dance a full hour late, which, if you asked Billie, was because Alex was a drama queen and couldn't decide on what outfit to wear. The loud sixties music could be heard all from all the way down the street and Billie was getting increasingly excited to go in with Alex. However a small part of her was a little worried about what Caroline had said to her.

This would be the first time she and Alex would technically be seen around school together, she didn't particularly feel like having rumours spread about the pair, especially if what she said was correct and Alex was a highly coveted dude, which Billie didn't have much trouble believing.

Alex squeezed her hand reassuringly, feeling how she was tensing up beside him. She smiled at his caring gesture but couldn't help but be worried for another reason. Billie was getting the worst feeling about this dance, and it wasn't about Alex. The path inside was fine, there was no light or dark. Nothing so far pointed to this night being disastrous aside from her own head. So she pushed it aside stubbornly, deciding that she was allowed to have a little fun sometimes.

As soon as Billie and Alex got inside the revamped school hall, they were brutally pulled apart by their respective friends, Alex's keen to congratulate him on even showing up while Billie's seemed a bit more miffed.

Damon had been the first to spot her. He took a short glance at Alex before dragging her away, Billie looking back at him also being pulled away with a look that promised a reunion.

"Where the hell have you been?" He stood a little more than comfortably close so Billie's unreliably human ears could catch his voice over the music, dancing with Billie without putting thought into his smooth and practised actions to blend in with the crowd.

Billie frowned, unable to grasp why he would care so much, quickly getting into the hang of his sixties style dance. "I was out. Why did something happen?" She questioned, eyes darting around them to see if anything was wrong.

"Klaus sent Elena a message. Compelled some girl to tell her to 'save him the last dance' or something stupid." He clearly wasn't impressed with the move, but Billie saw by the way he constantly glanced around the crowded room that he was at least a little worried.

Billie's eyes widened, the reality of the situation finally beginning to dawn on her. She looked up at Damon seriously with an affirmative nod. "I'll keep an eye out." Damon looked satisfied with her answer and smiled lightly as his eyes caught on something behind her. He spoke with pride.

"You sent that text, huh." His smile brought dimples to his cheeks that Billie didn't know he had. Damon spun her around, her back now pressed to his chest with his arm around her so she could see what he was looking at. Damon rested his chin on her shoulder like a child.

Alex stood by the drinks table with a few of his friends, an easy smile on his handsome face. Billie saw him glance over at her and she smiled warmly when they caught eyes. He returned the favour before returning to his conversation. Damon spun her back around with a knowing smirk and Billie rolled her eyes, a smile still gracing her lips. "I did. But this doesn't mean I'll start taking your advice from now on." She warned him teasingly and Damon shrugged unconvincingly.

"Whatever you say Blue." He let go of her hands and started dancing backwards back into the crowd with one last piece of advice.

"Stay away from the vodka for a night, you hear me Harper." Billie only rolled her eyes and danced happily in the crowd, making her way towards the drinks table only to be tackled by a very enthusiastic vampire.

"Happy Birthday Billie!"

Caroline pulled away with an all consuming smile and Billie smiled at her antics, giving up on her original voyage to reunite with Alex as the blonde was nowhere near done with her and they began to dance lightly while they talked.